Sunday, February 14, 2010

PERFECTLY LOVED

Today my husband gave me a box of chocolates - COLD STONE CREAMERY chocolates (who knew?) - and a video (New In Town) in honor of Valentines Day. I love them both, just as I love the card he gave me.

I also got received a card from my children. A card that says "For letting us know we didn't need to be perfect in order to be perfectly loved, thanks Mom. You're Wonderful."

I am in awe of that sentiment.

I love this card for two reasons:

Number one, it is from my children.

Number two, it makes me feel like I've done something right.

I've made mistakes as a mother but I will not list them because there is not enough memory on this or any computer to record them all.

But one thing I have always hoped to do with my children is let them know that I love them NO MATTER WHAT.

I have never expected perfection from my kids; and that's a good thing because they are not perfect. And that works out just fine because they are being raised by two parents who are not perfect.

But as they get closer to leaving our home (99 days, in fact, for Blake) I hope, more than anything, that they remember one thing.

That, no matter what, I have loved them.

With all the mistakes I've made in this journey of motherhood, I choose to believe that I've done one thing well.

I've loved them.

I've loved them as fiercely, as strongly, as perfectly as I know how to love.

I've loved them through temper tantrums, discipline issues, poor grades, calls from teachers, and issues too personal to mention on this blog.

I've been angry with them. I've lost my patience with them. I've slapped my forehead and wondered how I would get us out of the current mess. But always the Good Lord has helped me remember that I love them - that even though they aren't perfect - I perfectly love them. And He has helped me to remember that I must tell them that. And so I do - daily.

Neither of my kids has been the star of an athletic team. Neither of my kids will be valedictorian of their class. They have both made mistakes - some bigger than others.

But if I might speak a little too highly of myself for a moment....I know that they know they are loved. They are perfectly loved.

They are perfectly loved by a far from perfect mother.

When life has kicked them in the teeth; when things don't seem to be going their way; when they think they just aren't measuring up in a world that is far too competitive for young people; I wan t them to know that they are not perfect but they are perfectly loved.

And my hope for them is that the knowledge of that love will be their soft place to fall when life has knocked them down.

No comments: