Thursday, October 28, 2010

THE REUNION (MOTO RUN)

So then, after we saw Blake's platoon march past us we had some time to kill; so we headed over to the courtyard to explore the different buildings and await further instructions.



Most people entered the small Marine Corps museum and gift shop, which is why we did NOT enter the Marine Corps museum and gift shop. It was very crowded.



After that, I'm not sure what we did...to be totally honest.



I do remember that at one point we heard somebody make an announcement over the loud speaker - an announcement that asked us to please move into the courtyard so that we could hear further announcements.



So we headed into the courtyard where the drill instructor (who evidently spends his weekend working comedy clubs) told us he was not happy with the way we moved so we were to exit the courtyard and re-enter.



OH. NO. HE. DIDN'T.



This is when we were informed that we were about to get a taste of what our boys had been enduring for the previous 13 weeks.



So the DI continued making us repeat the same thing over and over again - louder and louder. And when I say "us" I mean all the other parents.



Because I didn't like this game.



I did not like it one bit.



And here's why. If I had just sent my son to college, I would have educated myself about the school he had chosen. Because I had sent my son to the Marine Corps, I had educated myself, as much as possible, about the Corps.



For instance I already knew that when the DI yelled "EARS!" recruits were to scream "OPEN, SIR!" And when the DI yelled "EYEBALLS!!" recruits were to scream "CLICK, SIR!!"



And I knew that when a DI started counting down from ten, recruits better be moving, and moving QUICKLY!



I surprised myself at my own reaction to this hazing because I think I have a pretty good sense of humor. I think I can take as well as I give. I can handle being verbally zapped and zinged.



But this? I didn't appreciate it at all.



(And on a side note: Blake later told us that he was in one of the buildings listening to all of this and he told his buddies "Dudes. My mom is not liking this at all." He's always been so astute)



Now where was I?



Oh, yeah - being treated like a new recruit simply was not for me. I had already sent the Marine Corps half of my best; therefore, I kind of expected to be treated with a little reverence.

And believe me, I was not the only mother who felt this way, there were some that were downright pouting. I was at least going through the motions and pretending to be excited.



Finally, we were dismissed to the parking lot and allowed to line up by platoon number so we could watch our sons run by on their final run through base. Of course, we didn't do this right either so we had to go back and do it all over again.



I AM NOT KIDDING.



I am also not kidding when I say I didn't go back. No sir, I did not. I stayed where I was. I mean what are they gonna do, fire my son? Draft me? Nope.



Besides I had found a spot right on the edge of the viewing area - right inside the cones - and I didn't want to lose it.



Turns out I lost it anyway.



Yeah, I turned around for one second to talk to somebody and when I returned to my original position - somebody had cut in front of me.



Uh - huh. Another mom had cut.



SHE CUT!! THERE'S NO CUTTING!! THERE'S NO CUTTING IN THE MARINE CORPS!!!



Not only had she cut but when one of the sergeants respectfully reminded us to please stay behind the cones - SHE MOVED THE CONE UP A FEW INCHES so she'd still be behind it.

SHE MOVED THE CONE!!



So I decided to take the high road and when she turned around and looked at me I gave her the stink eye. REAL BAD. After that she started talking to her husband who was behind us and motioning for him to come stand in front of me too. I have no idea exactly what she said as she was speaking Chinese, I think.



I do know that the stink eye is universal for "don't you dare," because when the husband looked at me and got the same stink eye, he stayed put.



Smart fellow.



So then, as another sergeant was walking in front of the crowd to make sure we were out of the running path, I desperately wanted to nudge the line cutter with my hip and knock her into the road IN FRONT OF THE CONES so she'd get smoked by the DI (see I know the lingo - you do NOT want to be smoked by a DI...)



But I didn't.



Because the Marine Corps is all about honor, courage and commitment.



I wanted to honor my son.



I had already worked up the courage to give her the stink eye.



And I was totally committed to making her sorry for cutting in front of me.



But I didn't do the nudge thing.



I just burned a hole in the back of her blouse with my stink eye.





Moving on.



The Marines started running into the parking lot where we were lined up. They came in by platoon - shouting cadences - running in perfect step with one another - greeted by cheers and banners and rally towels.



Then they stopped right in front of us and stood in formation.



And I saw my son again.



I cannot post pictures of him lined up after the moto run because he doesn't want pictures posted of him in his port holes (military glasses) but let me just say: Sweet merciful heavens! He looked amazing.



AND!! When he found us in the crowd - he gave us a quick wink.



Seriously. How's that for a sweet greeting?



After we got a good look at our marines they continued their run and we were moved to yet another location where we could watch them finish their run. The crowd was so large that we did not see anything at that point. When the marines were dismissed to shower and prepare for the Parade deck, we were invited into the theater building to meet the drill instructors.



We opted out of that due to the crowd again. Instead, we took that opportunity to walk through the Marine Corps museum and buy a couple of things at the gift shop. Then we found a Starbucks on base and had a coffee while we waited for Blake's dismissal for on-base liberty.



After they were dismissed, since the marines had been told to exit the parade deck ASAP, I had to search for a few (long) minutes to find my son. He had followed orders and left the parade deck.



Instead of going to the restaurant that had been designated for the family lunch, Blake asked if we could find a place less crowded and spend the 5 hours just visiting. No touring. No shopping at the PX. Just a simple lunch and visit.



That sounded like a fantastic idea to us.


We ended up in what could best be described as a rec center on base. It had a bowling alley, arcade, televisions....and served hamburgers and hot dogs.



Funny that was one of the best hamburgers I've ever eaten. I guess true bliss does that to ones taste buds.



This is also the point at which we ladies emptied our purses of the junk food Blake had requested we bring to him. So he ate a hamburger and french fries, about $20 worth of junk food and then another hamburger and french fries.



And he entertained us with stories of boot camp. It was amazing to hear this boy of mine - this man of few words - fill us in on the past 13 weeks of his life. The challenges. The triumphs. The humor. The frustration.



It's funny, I went there thinking I was going to come back with tons of USMC items to commemorate our trip and honor our son's career. I came back, instead with one sweatshirt and a Marine Mom lapel pin.



And precious precious memories of spending time with my son who simply wanted to sit and visit with his family for a few hours.

1 comment:

Roxanne said...

Between the wink and the visiting, I know why you kept him all of these years.

And had I been there, that lady would have FELT the burn on the back of her blouse, 'cause I'd have HELPED you. :)