Wednesday, July 13, 2011

THE UGLY DRESS

So I bought this dress a couple months ago.

It's a little different than what I'd usually choose but something about it just caught my eye. It has a scoop neck - not too low - short sleeves but not so short that they show my upper arms (of which I am NOT fond) - and a hem length that hits right above the knee. And it's polyester which means I won't have to iron it.

I hate wrinkles.

I think it's a sheath dress. Or is a shift?

I don't know. But it might, kind of, perhaps, just maybe look like something Carol Brady would wear in the later episodes.

Anyway.

When I tried it on at the outlet mall (I confess; it is from Dress Barn) the sales lady that had been "helping" me adopted a sneer that made her look as though she'd swallowed a worm. Up until then she'd been very complimentary of everything I'd modeled.

"Oh, that's just darling. Great color."
"Now that is just right for you. You can wear that any where."

But this one?

Well this one did not please her. It did not please her at all.

After making her "oh dear I've swallowed a worm" face she said "I just don't see that on you."

Which was a total lie.

I mean, OF COURSE she saw it on me. She was standing there grimacing, making it very clear that she saw it on me. (I guess she was speaking FIGURATIVELY....)

And she did not like what she saw.

But I wasn't to be swayed. Not only did it have all the qualities I mentioned above but it was marked down to about $13. It did not occur to me that it was so cheap because it had the potential to make people gag.

I wanted this dress. This would be my "WOW!" piece for summer. My one piece that was just a little bit "out there."

Plus I totally wanted to spite that very disapproving salesclerk.

So I bought the dress.

Yesterday I wore the dress to run errands. I love to wear dresses and skirts in the summer. Love love love them. But I was a little unsure about putting this one on to go out in public. I mean, when a salesperson, whose job it is to SELL you things, tries to convince you a dress just isn't for you...it just isn't for you AT ALL....well, it kind of erodes your confidence a little.

But I settled on wearing it anyway.

With a paper bag on my head.

Which was very uncomfortable because: 1)it was REALLY hot outside and 2) it was really sunny and I couldn't decide if my sunglasses should go on the outside of the bag or the inside.

So I got through my day of errands to the bank, a friend's house to pick up a catalog, and....the gathering spots of ALL gathering spots....WALMART. I told myself if I saw anybody I knew at Walmart I was just going to act very confident in my outfit and nobody would think I looked anything but FAN. TASTIC.

I didn't see anybody I knew which means I didn't have to feel uncomfortable but I also didn't get any compliments on my new edgy dress.

*sigh*

At the end of the day, after putting groceries away and doing whatever else it is I do around here, I greeted my husband at the door when he walked in from work.

He did a quick scan of me in my dress and said with true enthusiasm:

"Well...you look pretty. I really like that dress."

BAM! Take that Dress Barn Lady!

6 comments:

Roxanne said...

First of all, I LOVE Dress Barn--bad name, but I can ALWAYS find something there.

Secondly, I do NOT love sneering clerks. Seriously?

Third, sincerely complimentary husbands TOTALLY trump anyone else's opinion of ANYTHING.

Last. I am glad you are back. I've missed you. How are the kids?

HW said...

Thanks Roxanne. Everybody is doing well here. We are heading to North Carolina in a few weeks to see our Marine - staying in a condo on the beach about 20 minutes from base. He has put in for leave so he can stay with us. If not, he'll drive over each evening. Thanks for asking.
I'm catching up on your great family through your blog.

NinjaPrincess said...

Picture!!!

HW said...

I will try to have Kayla snap a picture tomorrow. She is at the new Harry Potter movie right now. Hopefully she can pencil me in for a few minutes tomorrow afternoon before VBS and another church lock-in. I'll call her secretary and try to get my foot in the door....

Ami said...

WHAT???? No picture?

And yeah.. I missed you, too.

Lesa said...

Hi! Yes, I would like to see a picture. Also, did you ever post what tatoo your Marine got? I have no idea why, but I am dying to know.