Friday, May 19, 2006

A NEW PERSPECTIVE

For several years now, summer has meant the end of school and the beginning of a new (temporary) routine for the kids and me. Dropping off and picking up at practices, friends' houses, the pool. Planning a vacation. Cleaning the kitchen 17 times a day. Now Summer is new again. It means a break for me as well.
Today was my last day of work until August 14ish. The college intern starts on Monday.
The 2 Sales Assistants (the only other women in the office) had a bouquet of baby carnations on my desk this morning with a very nice note. One of the brokers bought us Mexican for lunch, and I got to eat in the conference room with "the girls". My boss brought in donuts. A couple of the "grumpy" brokers said they'd miss me and that I really had lightened the work load around the office. Wow. After 8 weeks, I was still having days where I felt like I could not get anything right, and today I walk in and find out that they are actually going to miss me for the next 3 months!! I was blessed today.
Any minute now, the furniture guys are going to deliver our new living room tables that we bought with our tax return. This is one of the few years we have received a return. My husband the CPA has always worked it out so that we break even - no paying, no getting back - so that we can "receive the benefit of all of our money all year long." I am very excited. Also, next week is our anniversary - 19 years - and we usually buy something for the house. I have suggested one of those fire place thingees for our patio.
Tonight we are going to see The DaVinci Code with Pau's co-worker and his wife. I have no desire to see it but in the spirit of fellowship I agreed. Have any of you read the book? Are you planning to see the movie?

1 comment:

Beaner said...

I bet you're going to have a nice break!

I haven't read the book & I don't have any plans to see the movie yet, but I don't have any moral objections to either. As long as we remember that it's fiction, then we can see it w/o it shaking our faith. I actually like those kind of historical mysteries, but I just haven't really gotten into the hype on this one. You'll have to let me know what you thought of the movie!!!