Thursday, March 15, 2007

THIS HERE TOWN MAY BE SMALL, BUT WE'S EDUCATED AND WE'S NICE

Last week our boys basketball team won the state championship. This, just months after we won the state football championship. Some of the boys were key players on BOTH teams. We are only the 2nd school in 100 years to win both titles.

This has generated much publicity locally; and much discussion about these boys and our school district. Let me just say one thing about these boys. These are not a bunch of dumb jocks. Yes, they are receiving publicity because of their athletic achievements, but they are just all around good kids. One of the boys earned a perfect score on his ACT and will be going to Princeton University on an academic scholarship in the fall. He also sings beautifully, as we witnessed at the High School Christmas Concert. His best friend earned one point less on the ACT and will be attending college on a combined full-ride scholarship - his athletic offers combined with academic offers have made it possible for him to attend college without financial worries. He is also a tremendous young man who has been an outstanding role model for our son. Another of the star players is attending a nearby Christian college and plans a career in a ministry field. Yet another signed on AS A JUNIOR to attend a college in Chicago and is a humble, respectful young man as well.

Yet we continually hear comments about this small town and how surprising it is that these young people have accomplished anything. Some examples: "I never thought I'd see the day when that town would win anything." "You certainly don't expect a kid from those towns to go to an Ivy League University." And my kids occasionally hear (from people in bigger "cities") that they are hicks because of the small town in which they live.

Last weekend, I was tempted to reply to one of these remarks "Well, once we added that second room to our old school house, we just really started taking off." Paul said I should have said "Ever since we got indoor plumbing, the whole world has opened up to us." But I didn't say anything. I just scrunched my brow and thought "What are you talking about?"

Enough is enough! Why are people surprised when small town folks do well? I daresay we have some of the smartest people in the world living in our little community; surgeons, dentist, biologists, finance professionals. In the ten years we've been here, our school district has never been ranked lower than second in state testing. And the people we know here who have not received that higher education? I'd trust them in an instant to care for my children. I know, without a doubt, I could call them up any time of the day or night and tell them I need help, and they'd be there for me. I know, because it's happened. They are just good decent families doing their best to raise good decent kids and enjoy life along the way. And they are succeeding.

So you folks who live in the "cities" surrounding our "villages"(even though none of you are reading this) give us a break. Don't tell us you're surprised when one of us has done well. Don't act surprised when you realize we're raising good, intelligent kids. If you can't say "That's Great!" Don't say anything at all.

Cuz, we small town folks, well, we ain't got much culture or nothin, but we's shore 'nuf happy here.

2 comments:

Beaner said...

You crack me up! I didn't know that people from small towns had senses of humor! ;)

I guess there IS a world outside of Chicago!!! (And i know this wasn't meant for me, but I DID grow up thinking "How could anyone ever live in a small town")

HW said...

OOOPS! Beaner, I left my response to your comment on the previous post. It's pretty bad that I can't even navigate through my own blog.
Anyway, I'll repeat it.
Yes, we have a sense of humor. And a post office and even a library. And I hear a couple of people who live up the road a piece have recently bought a dictionary :)
I absolutely LOVE small towns and am very uncomfortable in big cities; although I really think Chicago is a very friendly place; as is Boston.
I guess it depends on what you grew up with.