Thursday, April 03, 2008

THE PREGNANT MAN

I will not go into ALL of the reasons this pregnant man, who is evidently going to be on Oprah today, makes my skin crawl.

I will leave my religious beliefs out of it. I will leave my utter lack of understanding of the transgender mind out of it.

But I will say this about the pregnant man; he was a woman. He felt the need to be a man. He felt like he was really a man all of his life. He had his body changed into a man's body. Well most of it. He kept the parts that would allow him to grow a child.

So. If he did not enjoy being a woman, and all that came with it, I think he is absolutely NOT entitled to enjoy the most beautiful and magical part of womanhood - growing and bearing a child. I feel like he is stealing something from the rest of us. He has turned womanhood into a freak show. And our society has done a good enough job of that over that last few centuries without his help.

Womanhood is not a cafeteria line. We do not get to walk through and choose the parts we want and the parts we don't. We do not get to forego cramps, menopause, wrinkles, sexism, cooking, cleaning, panty hose,etc. only to choose the best part - motherhood.

And now he is going to be on Oprah. And People Magazine. And who knows what other publications and news stories.

I smell a carefully crafted scheme.

4 comments:

Beaner said...

I'm guessing that Oprah won't really ask the "right" questions since she's never given birth herself.

I guarantee you that we haven't seen the end of wackiness in this world! I'm betting that there will be people in our grandchildrens' day that will be fighting for the right to marry robots. Laugh now, but just think - some people would take a programmed "perfect" mate instead of our imperfect, human, relational ones. (BTW - I'm not totally making this up - there's a book out about how this will be in our future!!!)

Susiewearsthepants said...

I don't even know what to say. I am appalled and speechless.

NinjaPrincess said...

I have to disagree with you, HW. You CAN forego panty hose. Fight the power!

Andrea said...

Interesting point. I saw the story about him, and wasn't sure how I felt about it. I think you do have a point. I do feel the frustration that he has made it freakish. And, how many times have I asked my husband (while I was pregnant) "Well, do you think you could do what I am doing?".....his annoying reply "I can't say because I can't be pregnant". It just loses all validity, now.

I think I saw him interviewed somewhere (not Oprah), and the only valid point I heard was something like "Every human being has the right to have a child". Unless you are a serial killer, yes? :)

I came by your blog via Amazing Trips, I think...