Tuesday, January 13, 2009

ON HOLLISTER

Last Saturday, we drove an hour and half to watch Blake compete in a wrestling meet.

It was the first time Blake had to wrestle a girl.

Now I am just shallow enough to say: "Thank goodness he won!"

We didn't get to see that match but of course I had to ask him lots of questions about it:

Blake were you nervous when you realized you had to wrestle a girl?

Yeah I was nervous! Because I knew if I lost I'd have to quit right there on the spot.

Was it awkward?

Mom, I didn't have time to feel awkward, I pinned her in 11 seconds. I knew I had to get in there and win fast to get it over with.

Now I'm going to go out on a limb here and offend every feminist who reads my blog....

I DON'T LIKE TO SEE GIRLS WRESTLING.

There I said it.



Now, moving on. I learned this weekend that teenage girls probably shouldn't even WATCH wrestling meets, as evidenced by a brief conversation I had with Kayla after dinner that night:

I'm glad you came today. It was nice of you to give up your Saturday to watch a long boring wrestling meet and support your brother.

Are you kidding? Wrestling meets are great. Those guys are so hot...

*gulp*

And then I stooped down to pick my eyeballs up off the floor so I could place them back in my head.

Note to self: reserve room at convent.


I decided that the only way to get Kayla's mind off all those hot boys was to take her shopping at a mall we would be passing on the way home - one we don't get to often. Paul dropped us off and headed across the street to the nearest safe spot - Best Buy - where he could lose himself in the manly sights and sounds of ipods and laptops.

After wandering through Macy's, we spent some time at Victoria's Secret where we bought some...um....some unmentionables, some soaps, and body sprays.

Then I got to experience my first visit to Hollister.

I had shopped at Hollister before - online, and somehow my daughter had been in Hollister before even though we don't have one at our mall, but I was a Hollister newcomer.

Here's the thing about Hollister.

I don't get it.

I don't get the dim lights. I don't get the music; although I will say their music was much better than, say, Pac-Sun or Aeropostale. I don't get the crowded area around the check-out that makes it so awkward to wait in line. I just don't get it.

But I don't get most of the stores the kids like to shop in. I mean must they be so loud? And the clothes? The clothes are just darling (but a little expensive) and they look really cute on Kayla and her friends, but when are we going to be done with the narrow shirts?

Seriously each shirt in Hollister and its cousins stores? It looks like a leg warmer with sleeves.

I suppose that is to keep mothers of teenagers from buying clothes that match her daughter's. At least this mother of teenagers has no desire to wear the same clothes my daughter wears.

You're welcome, Kayla.

As Paul picked us up and we were tossing our packages in the backseat (we found a great winter coat at Hollister for Kayla - 75% off!!) I said to him "I know, I know. I need to find a way to bond with our daughter that doesn't include spending money. BUT WE HAVE SO MUCH FUN."

His response? "I'll introduce you to the library next week."

I told him there was no need to be cruel.



4 comments:

Beaner said...

I have to say that I think girls can wrestle as long as they wrestle OTHER GIRLS!

Susiewearsthepants said...

I don't even know if we have a Hollister here. I've never been inside one, though I have heard of them. At my Department Store Job, the music in the junior department is considerably louder than in other parts of the store. I don't understand the need to deafen shoppers.

Roxanne said...

I teach middle school. I see lots and lots of Hollister. I live in the 4th largest city in the nation. We have LOTS of malls. I just don't go to them unless I HAVE to. I applaud you for bonding with your daughter in a way the library can never, ever match.

Steph said...

I posted on Hollister as well---I am with you: I don't get it.

I love to bond w/my daughter by shopping, too! Just not at Hollister :)

New to your blog--having fun reading!