Wednesday, March 31, 2010

TEENAGERS IN ACTION

It is obvious from the fact that my son is still speaking to me that he has not read my previous post. Of course, he just started speaking today after his surgery so I'm not in the clear yet.


Something tells me, though, that he has more on his mind than reading his mother's blog.


Like salvaging what is left of his spring break now that he can eat and speak again.


Which leads me to just that - Blake's apparent success at making the most of the remaining days of his spring break. Said success would not be possible without two of his friends.


Yesterday Cubby came over to visit. Since I was done packing bloody gauze into the craters left in Blake's mouth, I left and went to Kayla's softball game 15 minutes away. I was glad Cubby was coming over. Cubby is a big guy and I knew he could easily pick Blake up off the floor and throw him onto the couch, should Blake happen to faint from blood loss or severe hunger.


Thankfully neither happened.


Instead I received a text from Blake, while I sat in the bleachers: ''Cub driving me to mall." Since Blake can't drive until Thursday Cubby offered to take him to the mall to visit Gamestop and to get him out of the house.


Now, isn't that sweet? Is that the kind of behavior teenage boys are known for?


I say NO! NO it is not. Teenagers DO have hearts. Teenagers are not always self centered.


I *heart* teenagers with heart. I *heart* Cubby.


And it doesn't end there. After the girls softball game, Blake's fellow Marine Recruit, Carmen, asked if she could stop by and have a visit. So Blake, Cubby and Carmen settled in the basement and watched movies and ate strawberry cake.


Well, Carmen and Cubby ate strawberry cake. Blake ate oatmeal and sprite.


So then.


This afternoon, Carmen had offered to drive Blake to their weekly Marine meeting (Poolie night), so she came by a little early and suggested they take a walk around the neighborhood beforehand. So they did.


Then she drove him to Poolie Night and then to DQ, where Blake ate a sandwich and a mister misty freeze and bought Carmen a mister misty (cause she didn't want dinner).


Again, I ask you....are these the actions of a self-centered teenager?


I say NO! NO, they are not! I *heart* Carmen


And now, Cubby is back in our basement with Blake and they are playing video games and watching movies and Cubby is spending the night.


And neither Cubby nor Carmen has even made fun of his chipmunk cheeks.


But seriously, folks. I've been so thankful for Blake's friends this week. He's been such a good sport but I know he's been miserable. And it's so good to see teenagers that take it upon themselves to do good for one of their own.


I am worn out. There is not one clean glass in my cupboard. Thankfully, I ran the dishwasher this morning and there ARE clean glasses in it; I just haven't had time to empty the dishwasher. my floors are dirty. The laundry is backed up. Kayla and I have eaten fast food three nights in a row. It's been a busy week, with the surgery, the gauze management (every thirty minutes the first day), helping Blake swallow his meds (because his face was completely numb and I literally had to place the pills in his mouth and help him pour water down his throat); softball games four nights this week, Easter shopping, birthday shopping for Paul, and a husband that is stuck at work 14 hours a day, I'll admit I'm worn out.

But even though my body is weary, my heart is energized from watching these teenagers in action. Somewhere out there are two families who should be very proud of their kids, and I intend to tell them that.


***************************************

Disclaimer #1: There is absolutely nothing going on - dating wise - between Blake and Carmen. Carmen has a boyfriend who is away at boot camp. And Blake is not interested in her "that way." They are just buddies.


Disclaimer #2: Despite Blake's testimony that he could easily get $10 a pill for our unused Tylenol with codeine tablets ($30, according to Cubby) at the kids' high school, I do not intend to let the kids sell them outside the cafetorium; our negotiations broke down when I demanded a full %50 cut. I did consider it for a while (OH STOP! YOU KNOW I'M KIDDING) because we DO have oral surgery to pay for and....well....I want a new sofa....but decided it would be a terrible example for my kids. Plus Blake totally needs to spend all of his time in the classroom, not in the halls selling pharmaceuticals. After all, he doesn't even WANT to be a pharmacist.......

No comments: