Tuesday, June 01, 2010

TIGGERIFIC......

…you can either be an Eeyore or a Tigger. Remember them from Winnie the Pooh? Eeyore always has a dark rain cloud hovering nearby while Tigger obliviously bounces on his tail in a overly happy state of mind; Eeyore=gloom and despair, Tigger=a hurricane of happiness. Randy Pausch - The Final Lecture.
***************************************

A few years ago, Kayla's softball coach created The Tigger Award, to be given to the player who exhibited a consistent positive attitude, sportsmanship, and a constant smile regardless of how the game was going.

Tonight at the softball awards night, my girl was given the Tigger Award



She signed her name on Tigger and added the year she received it. Tigger will now reside at our house for a year and then be passed on to the next Tiggerific player at next year's awards night.

During this season, Kayla hit a triple during the same game as she executed a triple play.

Two games later she hit one over the fence for a two-run-homer. And we were so excited at those games and all the others, just to watch her play and do her best.

Obviously there are girls who had better stats than Kayla this year and those girls rightfully won awards for their athletic accomplishments.

But I love the Tigger Award. Even though it's not a shiny trophy or a plaque on which her name is engraved. I love the Tigger Award because it confirms to me what I've suspected all season.

That my girl has let her light shine. On the pitcher's mound. In the batters box as she came up to bat each inning. As she ran the bases. Regardless of the score, regardless of the weather, regardless of the mood of the crowd, my girl was calm, cool and collected.

And smiling.

There were times she'd walk out to the mound and I'd say to Paul "wonder what's made her so happy tonight."

And really, she was usually smiling when she came out of the dugout. Whether it was to bat or to pitch; she was smiling.

May it always be so.

As she finishes her sophomore year and starts the magic days of summer, I wish for her to be swept away in a Hurricane of Happiness.

I have a feeling she will start the joyous breezes blowing all on her own.

Congratulations sweet Kayla Beth. We are so proud of you.

5 comments:

Kandi said...

I love the Tigger award too! Congrats Kayla.
I received a 'Coaches Choice' award in school for track and field for sportsmanship and attitude and it is still my most treasured award.

HW said...

K-
Congrats. It is an award you should always be proud of.

I told my husband last night that both of our children have received character awards in their sports - that should help us sleep easy at night.

Jennifer said...

What an awesome honor!!! Congrats!

Roxanne said...

I stopped by yesterday and saw your post. Alas, Blogger wouldn't let me leave my comment--wasn't working, whatever. So I saved it and came back today to leave it and your post has gone--poof. And I get that. . .but here's my comment anyway--and feel free to delete it after you've read it. . .I just don't have your e-mail to send it to you personally. :) Big ole hugs to you.
---------------------------------
Friend,

I have been in my own dark, dark valley for the past 7 months--and there were times I didn't even attempt to climb. I just laid there, bare to the elements of life and emotion and let the rains fall. Eventually I had the energy to find a nice, sheltered overhang under which to rest, but I was still in the valley with the mountain looming overhead. That was hard to do as well--the just being still part. We women. . .especially Christian women don't think we SHOULD rest. EVER. It's a heady combination of expectations/common sense/scripture/and guilt. At least it's that way for me and many, many women I know. Not only that--but you like me have blessings and to spare. My list looks much like yours--healthy marriage, healthy kids, healthy body, jobs, good friends, loving Christian family and a God who knows my name and has provided it all. That's where the guilt comes in. What could I EVER have to be so tired and disheartened about?

Your stores of gumption are depleted. . .the big, girl panties you normally put on to get over things have holes all in them and the elastic is shot.

So rest first. Then start the climb. But take breaks--whether that is a daily nap or a yoga class or a long conversation on the phone with friends or a pedicure or saying that dirty, dirty word ("No.") or aLL of it in one day. . .just be kind to YOURSELF. Be very, very kind.

HW said...

Roxanne -
Yes I had seen your comment and it is so beautiful. Thank you for putting it here. It will be nice to refer back to your words over the next few weeks.
I deleted the other post because I feared it would be upsetting to my children.
I so appreciate your kind words and for letting me know I am not alone; that we all have these dark times.