Tuesday, January 25, 2011

FAULTY INTEL

While Blake was in boot camp he got to call home twice (not counting his "I've arrived safely" call) and, thankfully, I was home for each call. Each time he was allowed to talk for about 2 minutes but I was thankful for any little crumb I could get during those days.

Yesterday was the first time I'd missed one of Blake's calls in the six months he's been in the Marine Corps.

Can you believe it's been six months since his ship date? Wow.

Just wow.

Anyway, I felt a little bad for missing his call but, in my defense, I had been given faulty intelligence.

I had been told that there would likely be radio silence during mid day chow so I silenced all communication devices and hit my rack to do a little gold bricking.

I took a nap.

Sadly, my marine found a moment to open communications after all and tried to call during that brief time.

*sigh* This is what you get when dealing with the government....

I did wake up to a nice text from him after my nap and was able to speak to him last night before bed which always allows me to put my head on my pillow with an extra peaceful feeling in my heart. *second sigh*

In other news.

Kayla and I had an impromptu girls night last night.

Guess where we went.

No really. Guess.

Would it surprise you to learn we ended up at the mall?

It totally wasn't our fault.

Paul was working late so as Kayla and I sat at the counter eating our spaghetti somehow the suggestion came up that we go out for a while.

Which led to the only natural destination - the mall. I mean what else are we going to do when it is 19 degrees outside. Play tennis?

I think not.

Especially since I don't play tennis when it's 75 degrees outside.

Anyway.

I try - really try - to change things up when it comes to time spent with my favorite teenage girl.

But I JUST. CAN'T. DO. IT. There was that time Paul suggested the library but I told him his cruelty knew no bounds. (Silly man. I buy my books at the mall....)

At the mall, we get to walk. We get to talk. We get to challenge ourselves to find the best bargains. And it is healthy for our brains to constantly challenge our reasoning skills. They say brain puzzles will help prevent Alzheimer's and I'm simply trying to preserve my own health however I can.

Plus, clearance racks are wonderful opportunities to work on math skills, and all of the things Kayla got last night were from the clearance rack (well, not the jeans) including her faux leather jacket and her THREE DOLLAR dress.

So she was presented with many opportunities to work on her math skills - namely percentages.

I am all about promoting education no matter where we are or what we are doing.

I am just that kind of mom.

Plus, when I go to the mall with my girl, as opposed to by myself, she carries the sacks, which does nothing if not promote physical fitness for her. She is, after all, a pitcher and she needs to keep her arm strong year round.

So to sum up: Shopping equals math skills, problem solving skills and exercise.

And THAT is not faulty intel.

But don't quote me on that.

1 comment:

Roxanne said...

Glad you got to talk to your boy AND help your girl on her way to being a happy, healthy, mathematical young lady.

Score!!!