Monday, June 05, 2006

OK, here's a parenting question.
When your child messes up - kinda big, but not huge - do you punish him based on that one thing or do you use previous similar acts to sway your judgment, therefore making the punishment harsher?
Since the previous acts (one in particular) was HUGE and had HUGE consequences, do we consider that in our punishment because it is a "pattern" of behavior? Or, since this act is not so huge taken by itself, do we punish based on it?
Ok parenting experts, I'm ready for answers. GO!!!

1 comment:

Beaner said...

I guess I tend to punish more severely based on previous experience - but I think that's due to my anger & might not actually be the right thing to do.

I think it also depends on the child's remorsefulness about what happened, also considering the past.

It's a toughie....and a parenting "grey area"! I'll be praying for you! (Hmm...WWJD?)