Saturday, January 13, 2007

HOUSEHOLD ITEMS I JUST CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT

I'm giving a wedding shower in a couple weeks so I've got household things on my mind. What does every bride need? Though most of these would not make a nice gift, they are the things I simply HAVE to have in the house:

- Ziplock bags. I love these things. The gallon size ones. I use them for EVERYTHING and usually buy them in bulk at Sam's. I know; I have issues. I store food in them; produce, leftover pancakes, cookies, blocks of cheese, opened packs of brown sugar. I store odds-n-ends in them; straws, plastic forks and spoons, chip clips, craft supplies. I used to use them to send papers to school with the kids on rainy days. I carry toiletries in them when I travel (because if they spill they won't ruin a ziplock bag, as opposed to an expensive cosmetic bag.)My love of Ziplock bags probably is connected to my obsession...I mean passion for purses.

- Paper towels. I use a gazillion paper towels in a week. I use them to clean my counter tops a couple times a day. I dry my hands with them. I spot clean the floor with them. I actually have a paper towel holder in my kids' bathroom because I was deluded enough to think they would grab one every morning and wipe out their sinks. So I grab one a couple times a week to wipe out their sinks. Again, I always buy these in bulk and I'm pretty sure it drives Paul crazy.

- SOS pads. If every cleaning supply were taken away from me but these, I'd survive. They are the handiest little things and make my sinks and faucets sparkle. I love things that sparkle.


- My little wooden stool. I am short and I got tired of dragging a bar stool around the kitchen to reach things from the tops of the cabinets so I bought a little wooden stool with a handle cut into the top. It matches my cabinets. Oh, and toddlers love to sit on it. It's just their size. I also keep a Rubbermaid stool in my closet to reach things on the top shelves.

- My pampered chef mini spatula. It is the PERFECT size for small brownies, bar cookies, and cake slices. Ok, it is so small that I end up eating 4 brownies instead of two, but you get the picture. I have considered buying another one of these because I get a little rattled when it's in the dishwasher and I need it.

- My electric griddle. I finally bought one of these when Blake started eating 4 pancakes at a time. Seems he would grab the four fresh ones off the stove top griddle before Kayla even had a chance. Now Blake grabs 6 pancakes at a time and there are two left for Kayla (before I start the second batch) I LOVE being able to cook so many things at once. It is especially handy when the kids have company. You can fit a lot of grilled cheese sandwiches on that thing. Those of you with more than one child...say triplets, perhaps...should think of getting one of these.

- My label maker. OK, I go through phases with this, but when I'm in my organized phase, this thing is SO FUN. If my children were pre-schoolers, I'd have everything in the house labeled "for learning purposes" - PHONE...CHAIR...TELEVISION...CAT...

- Liquid hand soap. I do not think I am phobic about germs but I wash my hands a lot. I keep a bottle on both sinks in our master bathroom. I will probably go through 3 bottles to every one of Paul's(but that could be a guy thing. I always have lots of liquid hand soap on standby in the laundry room - in a little plastic basket labeled HANDSOAP.

- My iron. I iron EVERYTHING. I got this from my college room mate who even ironed her t-shirts. I keep my ironing board set up in my bedroom because I know I will be using it every morning. My grandma used to iron her sheets, but I have not gone that far yet.

Umm. That's probably it. But I'm sure Kayla will read this and be able to remind me of a few other quirks I have not mentioned. Right, Kayla? I still do not know what I'll get the bride and groom. I'm thinking a gift basket with these items in it would look a little neurotic.

2 comments:

Beaner said...

What about those great little Pampered Chef pan scrapers? Those things scrape EVERYTHING!!! You can even use 'em on your sinks (takes off the old, caked on toothpaste) But, of course, toothpaste probably doesn't sit for that long on YOUR sinks cuz of those paper towels. Still.....they're pretty useful.

If you end up doing a gift basket, just make sure you label everything! And stick 'em all in a Ziploc too!

HW said...

What little plastic scrapers...? I've never seen those.
Great idea for a gift basket - a basket of my own quirks - all labeled and zipped up.