Saturday, June 23, 2007

NEW NAMES....

So, my inheritance check didn't come in today's mail either, but I'm sure it will be here any day.....
*************************************************************************************

In many of the blogs I read, the authors use different names for their families. Some use nick-names and some use initials; both as a safety measure.

So, should I be using nicknames for my family to protect our identity from the 5 people who read this? I mean I think all of my readers know us on a personal level. I actually think my most faithful reader is our daughter (she is the only reason I keep this up) so should I really try to hide our identity from her? Might it confuse the poor girl? And if I do use nicknames, what should they be for each of my dear family members?

For our daughter, the obvious choice is The Princess, or Her Majesty. She is very sweet and thoughtful, but as a little tyke she was ALL ATTITUDE. So much so that we decided she must suffer from SPPS. Perhaps you have heard of SPPS - Self Proclaimed Princess Syndrome. I think the name of this disorder is pretty self explanatory. It is not life threatening; it just takes patience and a sense of humor to deal with the symptoms. She has completely outgrown this sydrome, and is still pretty darn sweet (and mighty cute too) plus she has a tiara or two lying around the house, so we will allow the label to stick. So from now on, our beautiful daughter will be known as The Princess, or Her Majesty. Unless I forget and accidentally type her name.

Our son is a little more tricky. Being a typical (nearly)16-year-old, he could be called "Silent One" or "Moody One" or "He Who Always Sleeps" or "Eater of Many Carbs." He likes to refer to himself as "Regional Wrestling Champ - 130" but that is a cumbersome label. As a newborn, he was called "Pumpkin Head" by the delivery nurses because his head was so round and he had red hair. Perhaps we can call him "Mr. President" in honor of his love for all things political and his unusual knowledge of history and politics. Or maybe "The Smart One" because sometimes when his father and I say something to him he looks at us as though we are STUPID. And I know if I could read his thought bubble, that is exactly what it would be saying. I think that's what it will be - "Smart One." But, remember, when you read that label to roll your eyes and say to yourself "yeah, right."

As for my husband, there are also many options. We could call him "Marathon Man" in honor of his accomplishment of completing the Chicago Marathon a year and a half ago. We could call him "Bean Counter" because he is a CPA, or "Finance Man" in honor of his career. Or "Monk" because he is very organized and diligent. We could certainly call him "He Who Treats His Wife Like a Queen" because, well, he does, but that is also a very lengthy title.

My husband loves the Godfather Movies. All of them. Several years ago, he was reading the book and he suddenly closed it and looked at me and said "Honey, from now on I think you can call me 'The Don.'" And so, for this purpose, I will.

Just wanted to give you all a heads up on these changes, so that you will know to whom I am referring when I mention Her Majesty, Smart One, and The Don.
I do not know what my family would call me if asked for suggestions.....

2 comments:

Beaner said...

I think you should call your husband Crackberry. Tee Hee.

Paul W said...

Hey....watch it....I do read this from time to time. If your not careful, you'll end up with a horse head in your bed.

The Don