Wednesday, June 27, 2007

EDWARD V

No, I'm not talking about royalty, here; unless, of course you ask this little guy's parents, who I'm sure will tell you he's a prince, and will wonder in their new-parent hearts why the whole world has not stopped to take notice of his arrival. Why are the church bells silent? Why are there no town criers on the street spreading the news? Why is there no mob rushing the hospital to get a first glimpse of this perfect boy?

Come on, parents. You know you felt that way too.



My nephew and his wife had a baby boy this morning. Landon Edward arrived at 6:58 a.m. and, with his eight-pound-14-ounce-self, made me a great aunt for the third time. I believe it was Melanie in Gone With the Wind who said "The happiest days are when babies are born." Melanie was so wise.



So little Landon is the 5th generation of first born sons in my family (on my dad's side) to receive the middle name Edward. There was William Edward - my grandpa; Ronnie Edward -my dad; Terry Edward - my big brother; Ryan Edward - my nephew; and now Landon Edward - my great nephew. Or is it grand nephew...? I was trying to explain this to my son (The Smart One) and he asked if he was going to have to use the name and I told him "No, because the tradition is on my side of the family and they are all Meadows Men (who will, any day now, be inheriting the Meadows Million, I'm sure.) My husband, The Don, also happens to have the middle name of Edward; though it came with no tradition. It's just a plain old Edward. The Smart One seemed relieved to be free of the obligation to use the name Edward. It seems he has enough to worry about these days. Like dragging himself out of bed by 12:45 this afternoon so he could see the first showing of the new Die Hard Movie.



Anyway, regardless of how you feel about the name Edward; there is something about a tradition like this that is so life affirming, so comforting, so in tune with the whole circle of life.

Think about it. Some 80 years ago, a couple gave birth to a little boy and decided to name him William Edward. Could they have known how important that middle name would become to their family's legacy? Could they have know that for at least 4 generations afterward, new parents would be saying "If it's a boy, his middle name will be Edward"?

I love traditions. I love babies.

A good day indeed.

No comments: