Friday, July 20, 2007

HONEYDEW ME A FAVOR....DON'T LOOK AT ME THAT WAY

So I needed a few things from the store today. I was going to go to Target because it is less chaotic than Wal-Mart; but Target does not carry bananas, so I just got everything at Wal-Mart.

My husband has not been in Wal-Mart since December. He has had it. He reached his limit and boycotted it. I would love to join him but it is a one-stop shop so I still go there. And leave in a bad mood most of the time.

First, I was in the shampoo aisle, along with 30 other people including a mother and her 3 kids.

One of the kids was saying "Mommy, is this it? Is this the one you want? Mom? Mommy? Mommy, is this what you want? Mooommmmmeeee? MOM? Is this the one youe need....?"

In my mind I was screaming "For the love of Pete, answer the child!!!!" But I didn't.

Because I remember. I remember those days, when you are so tired of the little voices that seem to speak to you from the time they wake up to the time they collapse at night. I remember realizing one of my kids had been trying to get my attention. It's like coming out of anesthesia. You hear a voice real faint and distant but you can't seem to tune into it because you are concentrating on reading a label or driving or going to the bathroom. Then the voice seems to gradually get louder and closer until finally you realize someone is speaking to you. So you calmly say "Yes, sweetie. That's the one." When what you really want to say is "Please, Please, Please can you be quiet for a couple minutes while I decide what I need here?" And you mentally make plans to leave them with their father the next time you come to Wal-Mart.


Anyway. After getting everything on my list plus 23 more items, I found an empty checkout. I actually looked around to see if it might be a trick. But it wasn't, so I unloaded my cart so that the very sour looking lady could ring me up without speaking to me or smiling at me. Things were moving along quite well despite the silent treatment when she held up my honey dew melon and said "This is a honey dew, right?" And I said, "Yes, it is" So she checked her price list and said "These ain't cheap." And stopped and gave me a look. I mean a nasty look. Like I was the most irresponsible person on earth to waste $3.68 on a fresh melon. My thought bubble was reading "What the....?" I mean, it wasn't cigarettes, or a video game, or a naughty movie, or liquor (although I thought I'd need some by the end of my shopping trip.) I wonder if she scolds people who buy tobacco products for spending their money foolishly AND endangering their own health. It's fresh fruit, for Pete's sake!!!

Funny she didn't scold me for the big bag of m&m's I bought.
For the children, of course.

1 comment:

Beaner said...

LOL!!! You crack me up! You know, just yesterday, we had Dwight's mom over to our house. Nick had 'diarrea mouth' telling her all about all the bugs he's caught & going through each one's story with all sorts of detail the way only kids can. I usually tune him out in the first sentence, giving way to nods & "uh-huh's". But Dwight's mom was listening patiently, but I heard Dwight apologize to her if he was like that when he was a kid!!! I'm not always tactful with my kids. I've told them - out loud - to "just stop talking already so I can think".

WalMart is the place I love to hate, but it's so darn convenient. I, personally, wouldn't shop there as much if I wasn't so lazy. I could go to Kroger & Target & get everything I want. (My sister-in-law has a Super Target, with food, in her town!!! I want one of those!!!!)