Friday, July 27, 2007

LUUUUCCCCYYYY!!!!....YOU GOT SOME 'SPLAININ' TO DO!

I feared I would have some splainin to do when The Don saw what I had ordered for The Smart One's Birthday.

The Smart One didn't want to do ANYTHING for his 16th birthday. Take his friends out for steak dinners? No. Have friends over for ANY kind of party? No. I realize, now, he wants to keep his birthday completely free so that he can spend the day DRIVING. Plus, he has informed me that none of the guys are having parties. He has invited his grandparents up for pizza tonight (his birthday is tomorrow) so that will be our simple family celbration



He did tell me, however, that he wished we would be in Chicago for his birthday so he could have some lemon raspberry cheesecake from The Cheesecake Factory. That's really what he wanted for his birthday cake.

So, being the super mama that I am, I went online and ordered two cheesecakes to be delivered NEXT DAY AIR so they'd be here for the grandparents tonight and for all the kids that will most surely be in our house all weekend. I am the mom that makes things happen. Since we all know that ONE SLICE of Cheesecake Factory cheesecake is not cheap, you can imagine how much a whole cake is. And I ordered two. Lemon Raspberry for The Smart One and then an Original Flavor for the Princess. And then, since I was a woman possessed by the idea of making her son's birthday wish come true, I clicked on the NEXT DAY AIR icon when it came to shipping.

But only after sitting at the computer for nearly half an hour debating if it was indeed worth it.

Of course to me it was going to be worth it, but you know how dads can be - not nearly so sentimental and indulgent. So after rehearsing in my mind the justification I would give The Don over this ridiculously indulgent purchase, I made the order. I definitely think these cheesecakes are going to be cheaper than feeding 6 teenage boys at a steakhouse. And I think they will even be cheaper than buying enough groceries to feed them all here. And that is what I told The Don when I informed him of my decision. I just hemmed and hawed and smiled and batted my eyelashes and said "Let's just say it was a BIG splurge. A REALLY big splurge." And he said "How big?" And I told him and he said "Oh that's ok. I thought you were going to say like Five Hundred Dollars."

Whew!

Fast Forward to this morning.

I had to pick The Princess up from a slumber party and then we were going straight to the mall where she had a hair appointment. I was worried I would miss the Fed Ex man delivering the cheesecakes. So I woke The Smart One and told him to be listening for the doorbell so we wouldn't miss out on our cheesecakes.

And Lo and Behold as we walk out of the mall, there is the Fed Ex man pulling up. This driver delivers to my office and his kids go to school with our kids, so I said "Hey Bart, do you have a package for me?" And he said "Yeah, but I can give it to you now, because I have no other deliveries in your neighborhood." So he found my cheesecakes and let me sign for them right there in the mall parking lot. Well, after teasing me for ordering not just one but TWO .....

Ya gotta love the Fed Ex Man.

3 comments:

NinjaPrincess said...

I was just at the Cheesecake Factory in St. Louis this weekend. Mmmmm.....soooooo good :)

Susiewearsthepants said...

I feel your pain. My daughter just got her permit. I don't think I have to elaborate!

Susiewearsthepants said...

saw your comment on my post, I forgot to tell you...love the nicknames for the family, they are great!