Monday, July 16, 2007

IT WAS JULY 16, 1991...

And the day was circled in red on my calendar. Because that is the day my first child was due.

Sixteen years ago today, I awoke with anticipation and hope. Early that morning, my doctor's office called. The nurse asked if I could come in for the doctor to check me over real quick, even though I did not have an appointment until later that week. I asked if there was a problem, and she said "No, he just knows this is your due date and he wants to see how you're doing." I would learn a couple years later that most doctors did not have that personal touch.

Anyway, at 40 weeks pregnant and VERRRRRY uncomfortable, I would look in the mirror and wonder how in the world my husband could be in love with Shamu. I would try to make sense of my doctor's conflicting advice: "keep your feet up" and "take plenty of walks." I would spend all of my time wondering if this child was a boy or a girl. I would tell myself that being up all night with a baby wouldn't be so bad. I was awake all night anyway, so I might as well be taking care of a child. And I would rub my stomach and plead with said child "Please, in the name of God and all that is Holy....come today!!"

It would be 12 more days before The Smart One arrived. In those days of waiting, I'm sure I thought I knew what I was in for. It has been beyond my wildest dreams.

But I suppose that is a post for 12 days from now....

1 comment:

Beaner said...

Ah...if only he would have listened to you back then, you'd be taking him to the DMV today!!!