Friday, January 25, 2008

I (heart) JENNIE FINCH...

I have started to love Thursdays. Thursdays are fun. Thursdays are exciting and full of anticipation. Thursdays are the new Friday. Well, not REALLY, but they are something to look forward to.

Why?

Because that's when we watch CELEBRITY APPRENTICE.

The kids and I love that show. LOVE. IT.

Several years ago, when The Apprentice first started, the kids and I sat down to watch the premier episode because Daddy was traveling. And, although, it may not have been the best television for elementary school kids; it was a fun and relaxing way to spend an evening at the (near) end of a week without Daddy.

We haven't always been able to catch it in following seasons, because the kids have become busier. And if the kids are busier, mommy and daddy are busier.

Now, though, we are watching it, because each of the kids has a favorite celebrity on it.

Kayla loves Jennie Finch, the Olympic gold medal pitcher for the U.S. Women's Softball team. And Blake likes Tito Ortiz, a UFC fighter. I watch it because I love to hate (well not Hate exactly...) Omarosa. That woman....

Anyway, last night Blake and I sat side by side on the basement sofa and watched celebrity apprentice. At eight o'clock, I plopped myself on the couch and said "Celebrity Apprentice...I expect complete silence" (a running joke in our house) and lo and behold, Blake comes down the stairs ready for an hour of television himself. Not up in his room, but in the basement. Right beside me on couch. And I knew he was there for the entire hour because he came prepared. With a snack size bag of gardettos, cheetos, and sun chips (that would be THREE snack size bags of various chips) and a 54 ounce bag of skittles.

So I said, "Don't you think you should have some fruit, or maybe another bowl of that stew we had for supper? There's yogurt. Want a yogurt? You know, if you're hungry?" And he said "If I had stew for supper, I don't need it again. Besides, I'm not really hungry."

Oh. Okay. It was just that wheelbarrow full of food that fooled me.

Anyway, Blake and I sat on the couch and laughed and snarked and commented on how we miss Gene Simmons because he was so funny. And we listened to Stephen Baldwin laugh and didn't say a thing because I was laughing so hard at Stephen's goofy laugh. And I tried to eat a few Skittles but they were just so sweet they made my teeth hurt - which is why I bought those at Sam's instead of m&m's - because I won't suck Skittles up like a hoover, and with m&m's my kids wouldn't stand a chance. Neither would my hips.

And the only thing wrong with the evening was that the sofa, on my right, was empty. Kayla was babysitting and couldn't be there. She did, however, come home and say "Did you see that Jennie got fired? I'm so mad." And I said "Yeah, she's too nice. Donald Trump knew it. He knew she didn't belong in that world. She's better off."

Yes, Jennie, you are too sweet for the business world. You are too genuine. We HEART you, Jennie.

Last week, Kayla and I watched CELEBRITY APPRENTICE in my craft room, while we, well, crafted.

And it was the best evening EVER!!!

Because Gene Simmons was SO FUNNY. And I could hear both my kids laughing, Blake from the family room and Kayla from the desk beside me. And no matter how old your kids get, their laughter is pure music.

And, my stars, Kayla has a great laugh. When she was four years old, our friend used to love to hear her laugh. He'd say "She's got the biggest laugh for such a little girl. I love that laugh." She laughs from the belly - a bubbling source of joy that cannot be contained. It's pure and genuine and is guaranteed to make even the grumpiest person smile.

Whether she's laughing at herself (which she can do better than some adults) or recalling a funny experience with a teacher, or relaying something embarrassing that happened to a friend; her laugh is quick and sparkly. It's contagious. It reaches every bit of her body and then radiates outward to anybody who's lucky enough to be nearby. It reaches her eyes and makes them dance. And the accompanying smile? Lord, have mercy, is it ever sweet.

It makes my heart say "What a gorgeous smile. How will any boy ever be able to resist that?"

It makes my head say "What a gorgeous smile. We are so lucky not to have to put braces on those teeth."

So, even though Jennie has gone home to her husband and baby and awesome softball talents; and even though Gene Simmons has gone home to whatever it is Gene Simmons manages to do with himself now that he is a washed up rock-star; I will still look forward to Thursdays. And I certainly hope my kids do too. I am willing to bribe them with skittles until the final episode, if that is what it takes.

Because I believe in instilling certain family values in my kids. Like the importance of sugary treats and trashy television.

Yep. Mother of the Year, that's me.

2 comments:

Beaner said...

We do 'American Gladiators' and ice cream!

Susiewearsthepants said...

The family that watches TV together........well, watches TV together :)