Wednesday, June 04, 2008

STORMS

Last night we were hit with another series of severe storms. Fierce lightning, strong winds, thunder. Lots of thunder. Tornado sirens.

Paul, Kayla and I were on our way home from an errand when the sky turned black and the lightning started really shooting down all around us. Knowing that Blake was out and about, I called him.

"Hi Blake, where are you?"

"At the lake fishing. I told you I was going fishing..."

"Where are you fishing?"

"Lake D---"

"You need to get away from the lake and head home."

"Uh. Mom. The weather is not bad here" Which it probably wasn't since the lake is about 10 miles from our house.

"Well, it's going to get bad. You need to get inside somewhere. The lightning is fierce."

See, sometimes you just don't know if your teenager really will have sense enough to come in out of the rain, so you have to call and prompt them a little. Which will not go over well, but it is your job as a mom. Number one, because you worry about them, and number two because it will drive them crazy and they won't have anything to complain about if you don't get "all up in their business" from time to time.

After we had been home for a while, and Blake was still not home, our tornado sirens went off. And just like last week when they went off and he was at football camp, I became paralyzed. My hand flew to my mouth and I whispered "OH NO!" and Paul said "He's fine, he just called and he's on his way to Cody's. He'll go in there if it's bad." So I went to the basement with Kayla and sat on the sofa, staring at the Doppler watching the storm pattern, and DID. NOT. MOVE. until I heard him come in the front door.

Just like last week.

My neighbor told me, when Blake started driving, that I was entering a whole new world of fear.

And, boy, she wasn't kidding.

Thankfully we just bought a Wii. So while we spend so much time in our basement listening to tornado sirens, my daughter gets to pulverize me in tennis and bowling. She also gets to pulverize her father, which brings on lots of giggles from her and I both.

Not so thankfully, my back and shoulders are killing me today from playing those virtual games.

Yes, I am in the phase of life where I can hurt myself without leaving the sofa.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought I was bad for being sore from simply hitting a bucket of balls at the driving range.

Although you probably had better luck than did.

Kandi said...

Wii makes me sore too but it's so much fun!
I can imagine it's scary with tornado sirens and whatnot. At least you can contact him by phone these days.

Beaner said...

I love our Wii!!!

But I love violent thunderstorms with LOTS of lightning too - I slept with the curtains open last night & fell asleep in the storm.

Susiewearsthepants said...

I am so glad I read your blog. There is always some new thing that I haven't had the opportunity to get all jacked up about. Let me make a mental note to myself to completely freak out the first time Melissa drives in a storm. Now that I know I can prepare myself for the panic attack. How did we ever live without cell phones anyway? Sadly, we don't have a Wii yet...sigh, we are so deprived.

HW said...

Susie-
Yeah, I'm always glad to add to somebody's list of neuroses. I will try to remind you of all sorts of things you can worry about with your teenager. I pretty much see danger at every turn, so you can count on me.

We bought our Wii with yard sale money. I can't wait to buy the Wii fitness game. I'm gonna get buff.