Thursday, April 23, 2009

MEET KAYLA'S FRIENDS


As a mother, one of my most important jobs is eliciting as many eye rolls and exasperated sighs from my children as possible. It is one of the things I will be judged most harshly on when they are grown.



So, when Kayla Beth told me, about six weeks ago that she wanted an ihome for her birthday, I was able to elicit a record number of said eye rolls by continuously referring to it as an idock, ipod home, ipier, iport, ihut, i-abode, iresidence, ihouse, ishelter, ikeeper....



I simply could not remember "ihome." It is after all a really difficult word- two syllables!



So when she got her IHOME for her birthday, not only was she extremely grateful, but she was also quite impressed that we, her technologically impaired parents, were able to buy the correct i-item.

It is interesting to note that when she had four girls spend the night on her birthday, three of them had to bring their own ipods so that they would have plenty of music to play through the night.


Holy ear buds Batman!! How many songs does a girl need?



It is a good thing they all brought their own ipods; otherwise they would have have had to settle for Kayla's 500 or so songs to entertain them, but amongst the four ipods present they had well over TWO THOUSAND songs available for their listening pleasure.

Thank goodness, or the evening would have been a complete failure.


I must admit it was quite surprising that one of the girls left her ipod at home because a teenager leaving home without her ipod would be like me leaving home without my right foot.

Or my right frontal lobe.

Come to think of it, I might have done that once or twice; I can't remember.




Every cell phone, however, was present and accounted for. These girls' cell phones are as different and varied as the girls themselves. Since I did not have permission to post the girls' pictures on this blog (because I didn't want to draw up a contract and print it out in four-plicate) I did the next best thing and had them line their phones up for a group photo. This was probably a better plan, anyway, since a cell phone IS a teenager's identity, is it not?




EMBRACE the cell phone. BE the cell phone. PROTECT the cell phone at all costs.
It is also important to point out that Kayla plopped her cell phone down on the table upon my command "line up your cell phones* girls" - because she obeys really well, that girl of mine - and said "let's line them up worst to best, mine being the worst."




And it was one of the proudest moments of my life, for I strive to deprive my child of all things fun and embarrass her as often as possible. Frankly, she's lucky she doesn't have two tin cans and a really long string. What better way to recycle?

Then one of the other girls, who insists that her cell phone is a bigger piece of junk than Kayla's, ousted my girl's phone right out of the "worst cell phone" spot and plopped her own device right down in the loser's circle, saying "um...mine's the worst."

Her parents can be very proud.



*Kayla's friends - left to right - Shannon, Kayla, Hannah, Becky, Maddie.*





5 comments:

Susiewearsthepants said...

I love my Ipod. I never leave home without it. Although I think I only have a couple of hundred songs on mine.

HW said...

Susie -
Are you a nano? A shuffle? A touch?
I inherited Kayla's non-ipod ipod when she got her new one. I still don't know how to use it.

Roxanne said...

I was about to say that I don't even OWN an ipod. . .true. . .and that my 8th graders laughed audibly at the sight of my cell phone laying on my desk the other day. . .also true. They laughed with sadness and sorrow and disbelief and embarassment in their laughter at my phone. I've had it for 18 months. It's the free one. I got it because the other free one that I'd had for 3 years kept cutting off intermitently with no forewarning. I still don't have my voice mail set up on it.

Beaner said...

I'm a little surprised at the lack of COLOR in those phones. Where's the pink, purple, red & yellow phones? Why all black?

I have a purple nano & a pink cell phone. :)

HW said...

Beaner-

Kayla's cell phone is red because that's the one I was willing to buy her and she had no other options for color. It wasn't the cheapest one but it was very close.