Thursday, April 09, 2009

NOT TO BE OUTDONE...

One of Kayla's friends was surprised with a trip to New York City for Spring Break.

Her parents woke her and her brother up REEEEEEAAAAAL early and drove them to the airport and didn't even tell them ahead of time.

How cool is that?

Well, being the kind of parent that can't stand to be outdone by another mom, I decided to surprise Kayla with our very own special spring break trip today.

We took her to EUREKA!!!! Illinois to walk through the Ronald Reagan library!!

I know.

What more can a teenage girl want? We were lucky enough to catch her euphoric reaction to this fantastic surprise:

I think that is supposed to be a "gun to the head" expression.

HMMMM. I can't imagine why.

She did, however, do a happy dance when we said that yes, we'd probably find a mall to stop at on the way home. She did an even HAPPIER happy dance when we were able to find a new dress for her to wear to my cousin's wedding next month.

Okay, not really on the happy dance or the HAPPIER happy dance, but she did manage to smile.

Actually, it was a really fun day with our girl. We explored a couple of little towns, had lunch at a nice little diner and managed to only use the credit card one time - which caused Paul to do a happy dance.

At the end of our day, as we were headed to the car, I told her how much I'd enjoyed my time with her. I said "thanks for spending one of your spring break days with your old mom and dad."

Her response?

"Don't Expect this when I'm in college."

HMMMM. I can't imagine why.

2 comments:

Michele S said...

Awwwwwww........

That sounds better than NYC any day! You rock, Mom!

Beaner said...

I realized that I crossed over the parental line when the thought of going to a "botanical garden" makes me excited instead of running away in fear. I haven't put my kids through that torture YET, but i did make them go on the beer-making tour in St. Louis!