Thursday, November 25, 2010

ADOPT A MARINE

Somewhere out near Camp Pendleton California are families who took in some 300 Marines for Thanksgiving dinner today.

They drove to the base, subjected themselves to security checks and drove these servicemen to their homes for a holiday meal.

My son was hosted by a family who lived 15 minutes from the ocean and so he was treated to a nice tour of the amazing beach scenery he had so far only seen while running nearby carrying his 80-pound pack and learning to fight in a battle.

As a mother who just spent her first holiday with one of her children away from home, I am beyond grateful for the families who will take these young men in and give them a taste of home.

I am thankful that since my son could not be with HIS mom today, he was with SOMEBODY'S mom who simply decided to feed some young men and get them out of the monotony of barracks life for even a few hours. He was with a mom who has found a way to serve our country.

But then, who wouldn't want these handsome young men at their holiday table?

Last week, Blake was invited to join another buddy, Alex, for a night away from base. So they joined his buddy's mother for dinner, a movie and a night in a hotel. Alex's mother even treated Blake to his own hotel room. I am blown away by these blessings that people are bestowing on my son.

I wonder if they know. Do they know that when they do these things for my son, there is a mother half way across the country whose heart is so full of peace and contentment that it nearly bursts?

But of course they know. Because they are mothers too.

And so I am left not only with an overwhelming sense of gratitude but an endless question running through my mind:

How will I pay this forward?

4 comments:

Roxanne said...

I hope that their "form fitting" uniforms allowed them to enjoy themselves adequately.

I think that is wonderful. And you KNOW that were you in a position to host some Marines, you would do the same. You WILL find a way to pay it forward, because your eyes are OPEN to finding a way. :)

HW said...

Roxanne -
Actually they got to change into civvies when they arrived at their adoptive homes. Then they had to put their uniforms on again to return to base. The Marines are very strict about when their men and women can be seen in or out of uniform and I guess yesterday , traveling to and from base was one of those days that a uniform was required.
For instance, you will never see a Marine off base in their cammies - simply not allowed unless the marine is driving between home and work. Lots of rules. Some call it control, some call it polishing their imaging.

Unknown said...

Hmmmmm.......pay it forward. You could maybe get in touch with Milliken and see if there is an Adopt-A-Student program. I bet some of their students aren't always able to go home for some of these holidays, or at all, and would appreciate a nice home-cooked meal occasionally.

Leanne said...

I have no idea, but one day you'll find a way. This post made me happy just reading it. There's A LOT of good people out there. I'm so glad your son is finding them when he's away from you.