Monday, November 22, 2010

WORLD CHOCOLATE CRISIS

A couple of days ago, Michele S over at www.fourtimesthefun.blogspot.com posted about the end of the world. And jelly. Evidently, Fox News had given a doomsday prediction of some kind that I missed.

*sigh* I miss all the important announcements.

Anyway, I think this article goes along well with Michele's story.
http://www.aolnews.com/surge-desk/article/global-chocolate-crisis-looms/19709231

If you don't want to click on it and read it - and I don't blame you if you don't because it is FRIGHTENING - it basically says that within 20 years we may not have chocolate available to us, which might as well be the end of the world, don't you think?

We were at a birthday party recently and somebody brought this up - how she'd seen a news report saying that cocoa beans were just too labor intensive and expensive to cultivate and so the African nations that most export it are likely to stop harvesting them.

Because the company my husband works for actually has a cocoa division, I put him on the research and sure enough he found the above article. The news is not good, people.

Chocolate may become as rare and expensive as caviar.

Interestingly enough we have two tins of caviar at our house right now. No, we didn't buy it. A Russian coworker of Paul's brought it to him after his last trip home and we're just sitting on it until we have an occasion worthy of caviar.

And until we learn how we are supposed to eat it.

Now I'm thinking we might need to save it to trade on the black market for a case of Hershey's kisses.

Ladies, we need to get on this. This is a time where we cannot, MUST NOT, depend on the men. They see no urgency in this situation. After all, they have not been warned that ESPN is about to go the way of the dodo bird. They have not been told that beer will soon be extinct.

They are not going to help us one bit.

So we must be on it.

It doesn't matter how smart you are. You can help. Wait until you are at your most hormonal and then the ideas will come to you.

It will be like the panicked mother who can lift a Buick off her child or fight a grizzly bear with a stick.

We must all channel our hormonal panics into this and find a way to efficiently harvest the cocoa bean.

We can do it. But until we find a way to avert this crisis, I will be stocking up. Our basement cupboards that usually hold extra soup, tuna and ketchup will now be filled with neatly arranged piles of Hershey bars, Dove chocolates and Snickers.

I suggest you do the same.

SAVE THE CHOCOLATE!! THE HUMAN RACE DEPENDS ON IT!!

4 comments:

Roxanne said...

That is NOT good news. I did NOT read your article. After being a milk chocolate gal ALL of my life, I have recently (thanks to my daughter) discovered the world of 60% cacao goodness that is Lindt. Oh. My. Word. The 60% truffles will make your heart SING. And just AS good (if not better) is the dark chocolate caramel bark with SEA SALT from World Market. Worth EVERY LAST CENT of the $9.99.

Live it up while the livin' is good.

HW said...

I think there is a World Market in the town where we attend church. I will have to check it out.
My English friend has introduced me to Black and Green chocolates and they are quite good also.

Lest I look like a chocolate snob, though, I'm just as happy with a good ole' Hershey bar as I am with the Belgium chocolates my husband brings me from Europe.

Lindt? I think those are at WalMart, right.

Must. Make. List.

Roxanne said...

Yes. . .my all time favorites are a plain, old Hershey bar and a plain, old Milky Way.

Just because one likes Shrimp Portofino with pine nuts and wilted spinach does not mean one can't ALSO like a Chili Cheese Frito wrap from Sonic.

Just sayin'. . .

tims_mom said...

Psst... Twenty years ago they predicted this same thing. I remember worrying about it then and look, they are re-predicting it twenty years later!

I think it's all tied to the global warming/climate change/you need to drive an electric car/save the planet/litany that they've been spewing.

Perhaps Al Gore and Leonardo DiCaprio will soon be speaking about this... :-)