Friday, April 21, 2006

GUILT AND GOOFY GIRLS

Why do I feel guilty so easily? I was in line at Wal-Mart this morning before work and I had 3 packs of mini cupcakes from the bakery (for Kayla's slumber party tonight - to be mentioned later) and a man in front of me commented on the fact that I was buying them and not baking them. The ironic thing about this is that I have always been so hard on myself about making everything from scratch and always providing fresh baked items for the kids parties, school functions, etc. I have always insisted on making a couple of dishes for potlucks no matter how busy we are, even when Paul says "let's just pick something up at the deli..."Recently, though, I decided that PRESENTATION IS EVERYTHING. If you take some store-bought cookies, salad, whatever, and put it in a beautiful basket or dish - it goes a long way in making up for the fact that you didn't actually make it. So today I felt very tempted to justify my lapse by explaining that "really I usually bake but it's been a really busy week." Instead I just said, "yep, I picked these up myself right over there in the bakery."
Tonight is Blake's wrestling potluck and I had told him I would bring a gooey butter cake - a favorite family recipe that is just a little complicated because the batter is real thick and hard to mix. Well, I only have 3 eggs and it calls for 4 so I made no-bake cookies instead. Of course, Blake commented that "it really doesn't matter, I guess, but you DID SAY that you'd make butter cake..."And he said it as though he was saying. "Don't worry about me, I just haven't eaten in 6 days and I'm weak with hunger..." So what I was thinking was "is nothing ever good enough..?" Guilt
We got the note about the wrestling banquet after we had planned Kayla's slumber party. So here's the quirky thing. I am going to the wrestling banquet and Paul is taking the girls to the movie and to eat at the mall. People seemed surprised that we are "reversing gender roles." But I told Paul if there is any chance at all that Blake may get an award, or even have something great said about him, then I, as his mother, have to be there to be weepy. He could not argue with that kind of maternal manipulation. Besides I think the banquet will be more relaxing than "Scary Movie 4."
Girls are giggly and loud when two or more are together. Boys (at least here) seem to just settle in front of the video games and appear every two hours to eat the cupboards bare. Occasionally I hear things like "dude...I'm gonna kick your butt." That's it. With the girls, it is opposite, occasionally I hear a brief period of silence and start thinking that thing you think with toddlers "if you can't hear them, you better find them." Usually, with girls, I hear lots of giggles, squealing, and just really LOUD talking. GOOFY GIRLS.

1 comment:

Beaner said...

We had Nick's B-day party last night at a local indoor golf & games place. Everything was fine until the girl who was having her B-day party was done eating, then the place filled with high decible screaming.

Guilt - I'm guilty of being a slave to guilt......but not on cooking! Sometimes, when you do something a certain way for soooo long, you set up expectations that are hard to be broken. My expectation is that I don't make it if I can buy it. Then, it's a nice surprise if I do walk in with a homemade treat.