Tuesday, April 18, 2006

TO A BROWN EYED GIRL

Happy Birthday Kayla.
Twelve years ago today you entered my world on tears of pure joy and relief. After suffering two miscarriages before you, it seems I didn't breathe for nine months until I heard the doctor say, "it's a girl!!!" I had myself convinced that I didn't care if you were a boy or a girl. In fact, I just knew you'd be a boy and your name was going to be Nathan James. After hearing those magic words "it's a girl," I realized that I really had wished for a girl all along. What a moment!!

You showed your independence early - refusing to nurse at 6 months because you were too busy looking at your world - refusing to let anybody feed you at 8 months; I had to cook veggies and chop them so you could feed yourself - refusing to eat your 1st birthday cake until we put a spoon in each hand. You crawled at 6 months, walked at 10 months, poured cooking oil on the floor at 12 months, opened tooth paste at 13 months, started following Blake around at about 14 months, yelling "and me" so you wouldn't be left out. You wrote your name at 3 1/2 and started reading simple words at 4 1/2. Your favorite phrase to me was "I do it." Tim C. always said you had a huge belly laugh for such a little girl. And you did.

You have always been thoughtful - always putting the first gift under the Christmas tree, always reminding us to buy cards and gifts for Blake's birthday, father's day, mother's day. You always knew when library books were due, or when the movies had to go back to the rental place.

You taught me the true meaning of "breath-taking." I used to stand over your crib while you slept; and when I looked at your ringlets (yes, you had curls) around your Gerber baby face, I literally forgot to breathe. And always the same words escaped my lips..."Thank you God."

It's been a joyful dozen years, Kayla Beth. Happy Birthday.

I love you.

1 comment:

Beaner said...

Very sweet! I just wrote my own "tribute" for Nick - his birthday is the 19th, but he was due on the 18th!