Tuesday, April 04, 2006

I HAVE A JOB...OR DOES THE JOB HAVE ME?

Those of you who heard the sermon at Northside on Sunday morning, can hopefully understand where I'm coming from on this. I couldn't really think of something I've been putting on a pedestal above God - as far as things I enjoy. I know there are things, they just weren't coming to mind. Probably because I have been allowing myself to worry too much about this new job.
I've decided that just as our pleasures can come before God, so can our worries.
I've allowed myself to worry about the adjustment period of this job - that time of learning and fumbling through the day that comes with each new job. I've worried about cutting off the clients and brokers on the "golden list"- people who must be put through on the phone NO MATTER WHAT. I've worried about not adapting well to the computer. I've worried about being accepted by the other secretaries. I've worried about the adjustment at home.
After hearing Gary's message, I realized that all those things are insignificant compared to God's love for me, and my hope of Heaven, and the countless blessings He has given me and the sacrifices He has made for me. Those mistakes, when I make them, are rubbish, dung, caw-caw. I doubt any of my mistakes are going to cost a client money. And I KNOW they are not going to affect my salvation (my college roommate's favorite saying - "not gonna affect my salvation.")
I also realized that I was not giving God the true glory He deserved for this job. By worrying and fretting, I have not allowed myself to fully enjoy this blessing. Here's what I used to say about going back to work:
If only a job would just fall in my lap...check.
I'd like to find an office job at a small company, not a lot of stress to bring home, maybe just reception work...check.
Part time would be ideal, with Paul's travel....check
Wouldn't it be great to get summers off, but then I'd have to work at the school, wouldn't I...check.
I AM grateful. I have asked the Good Lord several times what I ever did to deserve this ideal job. I finally realized over the weekend that I wasn't working this job - I was allowing the job to work me. It had me in the grips of worry and self doubt. I guess my self confidence took quite a beating over the past 15 years raising these kids of mine. So now when I make a mistake, I will tell myself: "they need me here," "not gonna affect my salvation," and the most beautiful of all....."it's caw caw."

No comments: