Thursday, August 24, 2006

GIVE ME A C...GIVE ME AN H...GIVE ME AN E-E-R

I was a cheerleader in 5th grade. We wore hand sewn jumper things with a big L(for Lovington) on the front and we followed the 5th and 6th grade boys to their games and cheered them on and felt like big stuff doing it.
I moved to a new school in 6th grade and they didn't have cheerleaders. In Jr. High I didn't try out because I didn't have the confidence. In High school I had come into my own, as they say, and realized cheerleading wasn't for me. I made my mark in school by having a lead part in the school play all four years (and by getting good grades and just being plain nice) In my high school the cheerleaders weren't the most popular girls - the jocks (jockettes?) were. Especially the ones in the class above us. Now that I look back, though, I wonder if they were popular or just feared; because some of them were just down right mean. Anyway.
Kayla has decided she will not be a cheerleader because they are "too perky." To cheer or not to cheer. Whatever.
I WILL say I am impressed with our high school cheerleaders and what they have so far done for the football players - even the freshmen. During the "3-a-day" practices the cheerleaders came during break and handed out fruit, gatorade, cookies, crackers-n-cheese. And all 80-ish players - including freshman, have big decorations on their lockers. Now, I am impressed by this because one of my fellow football moms, who is in the midst of raising 9 (yes, NINE) children said "wow, they've never done anything for the freshmen before. " And I know my son was very impressed. He commented several times on the snacks and the way the cheerleaders hung out to talk to them(well, of course) He asked me several times how I think they got the money to do all that. We have been thrilled with the football program overall because it is very inclusive - even of freshmen. The varsity players invite the freshmen to join them for lunch, give them matching specialty t-shirts, include them in just about everything. Yes, the freshmen have to "pay their dues" but their seems to be a genuine team spirit there and a desire to help these young ones do their best. So, Kudos to the cheerleaders and to the football jocks.

Now, being the non-jock that I am I have to say I do wish that the debate team, the FHA members, the chorus and band, and all other non-sports students could get the same kind of recognition. There are so many ways to shine, and however a young person decides to stand out - everybody needs a cheerleader.

No comments: