Monday, August 28, 2006

PILED IN LIKE SARDINES

I will be praying for Kayla over the next few days. She has try-outs for Jr High basketball.

I will also be praying for myself. The carpool we have been invited to join has 8 (eight) girls in it. Now that is all good - it should mean fewer trips than normal. But. Most of the ladies have 7 passenger vans and a couple have 5 passenger SUV's. We happen to have an 8 passenger van so it will work out fine for us. IF I AM PLANNING ON LETTING MY SEVENTH GRADE DAUGHTER DRIVE while I stay at home. Also the carpool is made up of 2 or 3 neighborhoods and I think it would be more logical to break it down. So I am deciding whether to rock the boat (or van?) and suggest breaking this thing down into 2 carpools. To be honest piling kids into a car like so many sardines doesn't really bother me. I've only done it once, we took 7 kids somewhere and one of Blake's friends had to ride in the "grocery section" of our van. But that was one time. And of course, I was raised sitting wherever there was room in our wood-panelled station wagon. When we drove my dad's mustang, I would sit between my mom's knees in the front and the other 3 kids fought over who had to sit on the hump in the back seat.
And of course we probably wouldn't have known what a seat belt strap was after we dug it out from between the seats. I'm sure we thought it was a built in weapon of some kind to be used against a sibling who was on our side or who was looking at us.
But now things are a little different and we know the safety issues and we could get a ticket and blah, blah, blah....
So after this evening I have to decide whether to take a stand for safety and...well, common sense, or pile Kayla into one of those vehicles and tell her if she's gonna swing that seat belt strap, keep the buckle part down......

2 comments:

Beaner said...

I'd like to put in a vote for SAFETY. I'm a stickler for seatbelts & locked doors. You just don't want to have an accident (God forbid it) and some kid dies because they lost out on the seatbelt that day.

HW said...

Karrie and Beaner,
I agree with both of you. Our stretch of highway is very worrisome, especially since it is travelled by many teenagers going back and forth to school activities. I had decided today to call the other moms to try to make some changes. I'm thankful for your input.