Friday, May 22, 2009

FAMINE, PLAGUE AND PESTILENCE


See my Tickled Pink Super Bells? The ones on the left of the purple...the um...purple...um, well I don't know what the purple ones are, but OF COURSE you can't see my Tickled Pink Super Bells:



Because the bunnies ate them.



See my orange Impatiens?




Of course you can't see them because, well I don't know if the bunnies ate them or not but they are gone too. My neighbor has confirmed, however, that the bunnies have eaten my white clematis blooms:


See? No white clematis blooms. See that empty barren flower bed next to the clematis vines? Well we decided we needed to dig up everything in this flower bed and start over. And when I say WE, I really mean *I* decided we needed to dig up everything in this flower bed and start over. So last Sunday evening we cleared out the whole bloomin' mess.
And when I saw WE cleared out the whole bloomin' mess, I mean PAUL cleared out the whole bloomin' mess, so we can start over.


While I took Kayla out to practice driving.


So the neighbors to the south of us, who happen to be VERY diligent lawn care people get to look at our dried up barren flower bed until we get busy and replace the old stuff. We have no idea what we're going to put in there.


I'm thinking something in a nice elegant plastic.


This poor neglected flower bed truly adds insult to injury for our very lawn-minded neighbors, because all winter and spring, they got to look at this, our side garage door:



Yes, we have become THOSE neighbors. We are determined to bring down the property values on our cul-de-sac if it's the last thing we do.


When I was telling our neighbor how our freshly painted door began peeling almost immediately after the painter left, he said "Well, earlier in the spring I saw the Virgin Mary in it."

UH! If he had told us that sooner we could have taken our door on tour and made some quick cash.

But, now that I have accepted that there is no money to be made off my door, and now that the weather is fit for painting again, the door guy is here today to make good on his work. Unless, of course, any of you can see an image in that peeling paint that might prove valuable.
Anybody?


As for the dead flowers surrounding my house? While last year I was aghast at all threats to kill the rabbits who were eating all the blooms in the neighborhood - after all they weren't eating MY flowers - this year I'm searching for a big can of BUNNY-BE-GONE.
In the mean time we have lots of work to do - new bushes, new flowers, new mulch, new door.
And if we don't get all this beautifying done soon....new neighbors.












6 comments:

Kandi said...

I think you need to watch the Wallace and Gromit movie Curse of the Wererabbit. ;) You can call on them to remove your bunnies.

Unknown said...

Heidi, when I did hair we used to have some ladies that came in to the shop to collect trash bags of hair we swept had cut and swept up. They would put it in their gardens to keep the rabbits away.....some of them swore by it. I don't garden. Tim made me stop after I killed a few hundred dollars worth of flowers.

Beaner said...

Huma hair & dog hair works - the bunnies stay away from the scent. I've heard that black pepper powder gets stuck in their nose & they run away....not sure about that though.

If you think your door looks bad, you should see the paint peeling off of the back of my house!!! At least the only people who can see the backside of my house are only the ones who run on the trail every day. UGH!

Beaner said...

Human hair works well too....honestly, I've never really tried huma hair!

HW said...

We had heard about human hair repelling pests. We bought a container of pellets that contains - and I'm not kidding - dried blood, eggs, and garlic. It will even keep armadillos and shrews away.

Thank goodness because if I see one more armadillo around this house....

Susiewearsthepants said...

This must have been the weekend for yard work. All my blog buddies are gardening.

You know, I felt the same way about the mice, until they invaded my house. Then the little suckers had to go.