Monday, June 08, 2009

LET'S GO CAMPING...

When Kayla entered the second grade she was over the moon with excitement because she knew the upcoming summer would be her first opportunity to go to church camp.

She had seen how much fun her brother had at the little mini camp for elementary students (three nights) and she was excited to have her turn.

Plus, she thought it would be totally awesome to go four days without brushing her teeth. After all, that's what Blake had done and he looked quite happy (albeit a little green in the mouth)when we picked him up.

Church camp was scheduled for June. About April of that year, we got the news that they had moved the starting age back a year. Now, instead of entering the third grade to be a beginning camper, kids had to be entering the fourth grade.

THAT'S NOT FAIR!! There was crying. There was grumbling. There was a slight temper tantrum.

Then Paul told me I had to pull myself together because I was frightening the children.

Kayla had really been looking forward to church camp. REALLY. LOOKING. FORWARD. TO. IT.

And because I'm the terrible mother that I am, I had really been looking forward to both of my kids going to church camp for the same few days.

Only because I wanted them to grow in their faith and learn lots of Bible verses, of course.

Yeah, that's it.

Well another mom and I approached the director and asked if there was any way...any way AT ALL... that they would let the little kids come. After all, they had been planning for this and looking forward to "going into the third grade so we can go to church camp!!!"

Being the wise man that he was, the director said, Yes, send the little ones.

*cue hallelujah chorus now*

That was the beginning of Kayla's absolute passion for church camp. For the last three weeks, she has counted down the days by writing on the mirror in her bedroom.

Yesterday, she and Amanda got to load up and head out to camp.

Ahhh! Look how happy they look.

Hey girls! Are you going to read your Bibles every day and stay away from the boys?
Um...yeah...of course we are silly mother!
Aside from their enthusiasm, what impressed me the most was Amanda's collection of shoes. She managed to out-shoe even Kayla:

This does not show her other pair of Converse (plaid) the Vans she was wearing (are they called Vans?) or the ridiculously cute canvas ballet flats under all the flip flops.
*note to self: take shopping trip to Shoe Carnival
Amanda, you are a girl after my own heart.


2 comments:

Roxanne said...

Oh how I LOVED camp every year. I started the year I was 8. . .5 days long until Jr. high camp--then it was 10 days and Sr. high camp was 12 days and I LIVED FOR IT.

My own girl will be going to church camp this year--she just entered the youth group at the tender age of 11. She's gone to some shorter jr. camps, but this is the real deal. . .and I told her Daddy that she won't be the same girl when she comes back.

HW said...

Roxanne,
I didn't ever go to church camp. Kayla goes to the same one that Paul grew up attending, so the tradition is strong. Blake kind of lost interest and hasn't gone for a couple of years.

I throughly enjoyseeing our daughter so excited about this phase of life. The friendships do indeed last a life time.