Saturday, June 13, 2009

SURPRISE!!

So Kayla got home from church camp today. She was really tired. I think she went to bed at 6:45.

This morning.

After all there was pizza to be eaten and silly Olympics to play.

I was really excited to have her see her new room.

This is what she found when she walked in:


She really wanted a black and white room with red accents. We bought this comforter six months ago. See that bed? It was my grandpa's. I slept in it when I would visit him as a little girl. It was in his spare room. It needs to be sand blasted and painted but I refuse to do that yet. Kayla understands. She's had that bed for a few years now and really likes it. That bench at the foot of her bed? We bought that at a men's clothing store when they were going out of business - TWENTY DOLLARS!! The cushions are simply chair pads from Wal-Mart - velcroed on to the bench.

Now this picture below - this is where it all happens - the makeup table. She got this for her 13th birthday. It's actually a bar from a patio furniture set with a swivel stool. We wanted something narrow to save space. Works well.
Kayla has always wanted a dress form in her room - a full size one. I guess you could call this full size if you are making custom fashions for a two year old.
I like this little vignette below. I love the ceramic Converse hi-top. Because that is so Kayla - a little bit of frill mixed with a little bit of Converse.

The art work? Scrap book paper from my stock, framed in recycled frames that I spray painted black.
Kayla really wanted black walls in this room. And I really thought that wasn't a good idea:



But it is only paint after all. It can be covered - WITH ABOUT FOURTEEN COATS OF HER NEXT COLOR CHOICE! But I went with it and I must say I really like the look. Two of the walls are black. This photo above is what you see when you first enter Kayla's room.

I was so excited to see her reaction that I hid in her room to wait for her to come home.

Obviously she hated it.
And I couldn't take any more pictures after this one.
Somebody was squeezing me a little too tightly.






6 comments:

Fiona Picklebottom said...

Would you come over and do MY room? I'm leaving town for a little while, so you'll have time. :)

The room looks FANTASTIC!!!

HW said...

Fiona Picklebottom

First, I love your name.

Okaaaay, I'll do your room, but I'm NOT painting one thing black. My hand is really tired from weilding that black spray paint can for four days.

Beaner said...

After Fiona's room is done, could you come over & do my bedroom? It really needs.....a LOT! I think you may have found yourself a new calling!!!

LOOKS AWESOME!!!!

Kandi said...

That room is gorgeous! I lack the part of the brain that is good at decorating. If you ever want to come to MD and decorate a house, let me know... I just need to buy one first. ;)

Roxanne said...

The room is INCREDIBLE!!! And I love that despite the fact that your girl had JUST GOTTEN HOME from being with her friends, she has her cell phone in her hand just in case one decides to call. :)

HW said...

Roxanne-
You're so right!! I guess the cell phone is such a fixture on her, I hadn't even noticed.