Sunday, February 03, 2008

B.A. - BLOGAHOLICS ANONYMOUS

In my entire blog history - my blistory - I have left two negative comments on other blogs. I wouldn't even call them negative, more like...um...dissenting comments.

The first time was when I read a post on an issue about which I am very passionate. The author is also very passionate about this issue and our two passions didn't quite agree. I should have put more thought into my comment, but I allowed myself to shoot off at the mouth, so to speak, and fired off words that reflected my passion. The author of the blog responded and I responded yet again, this time with a note along the lines of "you are so right. I admire you're convictions."

The second time, I thought for a couple of days about my comment because I truly respect the passion with which some of these people write about certain issues. I left my comment in what I hoped was a respectfully worded manner. The author of THAT blog then proceeded to make a nasty reference to my comment in her blog - referring to it as though I had attacked her. It seems that some bloggers can rant and rave and spew venom and belittle those who have differing beliefs, but if someone dares to leave a comment that does not mesh perfectly with their own mindset then we are ignorant, lazy, and just plain unworthy to be part of the blogosphere.

They are like the playground bully who hits and kicks and terrorizes others but, when somebody fights back, turn into whimpering victims who can't understand where the anger is coming from.

I admire people who have such passion for something that they will devote nearly their entire blog to that subject. Really, I admire that a lot. I don't always agree with their opinions, but I admire the passion. What I don't admire is intolerance. Intolerance for differing opinions, WHEN STATED RESPECTFULLY. I can't stand intolerance.

There are two things about my "dissenting comments" that I'd like to point out.

First, I tried very hard NOT to attack the author. I didn't attack them as a person. I disagreed with their viewpoint, and I said so, but I didn't call them self centered, or say they favored one child over another, or call them a whiner, or tell them to buck up and deal with it. Maybe I attacked their ideas. But I didn't attack them. Big difference.

Second, I signed my comments. Well, I didn't sign my first and last name, but I left my HW, which would lead them back to my blog, where they could leave further comments for me, as could other readers. They at least had a way to identify the person who left the comment. I did not hide behind "ANONYMOUS."

Because really, what is the point of posting a nasty comment as ANONYMOUS? What do you think is going to happen to you? It's not like somebody is going to wait for you after school and give you a black eye. It's not like they can see you through the computer screen and know exactly who you are.

Or can they......?

If you have something to say, and you feel strongly about it, say it and identify yourself in some way. Give people the opportunity to respond to you. Give people the opportunity to read your blog and find out where you're coming from on things. Give people the opportunity to see what a perfect person is like. Becasue most ANONYMOUS commenters who have nasty things to say come off as though they believe themselves to be perfect; that's why they seem to think it's ok to attack the PERSON and not simply disagree with the idea.

So, come on ANONYMOUS. It's time to show your face. It's time for you to step up and identify yourself to all these people to whom you've been so mean.

We double dog dare ya.

1 comment:

Susiewearsthepants said...

Well put. I knew I was going to suffer some negative feedback from a recent blog posting. I was surprised at the venom that came from this person. Of course I know who my "Anonymous" commenter is. Maybe I handled the blog I posted the wrong way. I worded it the best way I knew how at the time. I also did not identify who this person is in my life. Yet they KNEW exactly who I was referring to. Which leads me to believe that at least some of what I said was true. I think I must have really struck a cord. Unrealistically, I hoped this person would see how much some of us have tried to be their friend, yet we are shut out at every turn. I regret posting the blog. Not because what I said was untrue, but because of the venom that has come back to me. Maybe I should just keep my feelings to myself from now on. I don't want to be the kind of person that stirs up trouble, yet I feel this is exactly what happened. I also noticed that "Anonymou" said nothing that corrected anything I said. They just immediately went on the attack.