Monday, February 04, 2008

IT'S ALL ABOUT ME...MY QUIRKS PART I

This is my birthday week, which I actually keep forgetting. But it is, so for the next few days, I am going to post things all about me. ME, ME, ME, ME.

Oh, wait. This blog is all about me anyway.

Oh, well. More me. That's what I need. More Me. Can't we all use more Me.

So I will start by listing my quirks, 'cause that seems like a common thing to do on blogs. Notice I named this post ....MY QUIRKS PART I. That's because I'm sure once my family read this, they will want me to add a few (dozen.)

So in no particular order, here goes....

Let's see...quirks? I'm thinking...I'm thinking.... Gee I must be quirkless (quirk free?)

Right, family?

1. I have a ridiculous love of ZipLock bags, especially the gallon size ones - probably because they represent organization, and even though I'm not a very organized person, they give me a very small sense of being so.
I went into my own private little depression when Wal-Mart stopped carrying the snack size ones. Thankfully, our kids had already outgrown them, but still...

2. Ditto with paper towels. I reach for them way too often, when I should be grabbing a sponge or a dish cloth, therefore causing us to have to buy them too frequently. But that is because....

3. I can't stand to have a wet, or even damp, dish towel draped over the kitchen sink. If it is wet, even if it's been used to wipe up clean water, I toss it in the laundry. Drives my husband crazy.

4. I am afraid of thunderstorms.

5. Ditto spiders, but...

6. Now that I am a mother, I have to pretend I'm not. Except with the spiders. Now that Blake is bigger than I am, I can make him kill the bugs.

7. Whenever I crack eggs, for whatever reason, I stop and wash my hands with soap and water before continuing my work. I don't rinse them or wipe them on a towel. I wash them. And I have taught my kids to do this too.

8. I don't, however, have any problem EATING that raw egg once it's been mixed into cookie dough.

9. Even though I'm not very organized, I always know where something is - "move that basket...now lift that stack of papers...see that little envelope? It's under there." Is that a quirk or a gift?

10. All of my clothes must face the left when hanging in my closet. When I was pregnant with Kayla, I went into a hormonal snit when I noticed Paul had not hung Blake's little toddler clothes all facing to the left.

11. I must make my bed every day. Rain or shine, sleet or snow, sick or well. Ok, if I'm DEATHLY sick, I won't make it, but 99% of the time, I make my bed. If it's been a crazy day, I have been known to make my bed at 6 p.m. even though I will be crawling into it in a few hours. I know. Crazy.

12. I love all boxes, bottles, cans and jars and am always thinking of ways to use them as gifts. I have a stash of them in my craft room just waiting to be turned into decorative gift holders. I have to be sneaky about this, because if I'm not careful, Paul will grab them first and throw them in the garbage or the recyle bin. And then I say something like "Did you take that cute little bottle the caramel syrup was in...'cause I was going to put Valentine m&m's in it." And he'll say, I put it in the recyle bin." And I'll say, through clenched teeth "Ok. If I have taken the time to wash it out and set it on the sink to dry, it means I want to keep it. That was going to be a REALLY cute gift. OKAY?"
Something like that.

13. I am a grammar snob.

14. Also a water snob.

15. I love McDonald's Filet-O-Fish sandwiches. LOVE. THEM. Every time I eat one, as I put the last bite in my mouth, I say "Man I could eat another one of these." Once, when I was pregnant I went back and ordered a second one. It's a delicious memory.

16. I can't think of a 16....

But I'm sure I'll be back with an addendum...

3 comments:

Susiewearsthepants said...

Since this is all about you, I won't say anything about me except that I am also guilty of using paper towels as if we really don't need all those trees anyway. Can't wait for the next round of stuff all about you.......you,you,you.

Paul W said...

I will absolutely, positively, certainly sit this one out.

But....how did you forget about toilet paper?

Pauley

HW said...

I KNEW you would bring up the toilet paper. But, really who wants to run out of toilet paper? During this last blizzard nobody was scoffing about my stock up neurosis. Shall we talk about your candle burning (pyromania)?