Thursday, February 14, 2008

I'M FEELING BLUE TODAY...

Navy blue, to be exact.

We've been invited to the retirement ceremony (reception following) for a lifetime Navy man.
His title, according to the invitation, is Damage Controlman Chief Petty Officer Mark A. O____.

We are touched to have been included on this guest list; and we certainly look forward to witnessing this ceremony.

But I have no clue what to get this man for a gift.

He is one of my son's wrestling coaches - on a volunteer basis.
He is a volunteer fire fighter, and former EMT.
He is the father of my son's best friend.

Trying to decide what to get a man who has served his country for all of his adult life, serves his community, and gives his time to coach teenage boys is quite a task. But there's more to this man that makes ANY gift seem absolutely and totally...well....just NOT ENOUGH.

See, he saved my son's life one night.

Now, my husband probably thinks I overstate this and; to protect my son's privacy I won't go into details, but I feel ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN he saved my son's life or, at the very least, saved us from a very tragic outcome.

And when I think of what I can do for this man now, my head starts to ache, my throat swells up, and I get a tightness in my chest that makes it hard for me to breathe, because the emotion of what he has meant to my family, especially to my son, is too much for me to contain.

What do I get this man to honor him during this proud and awe-inspiring phase of his life? What do I get him that says "Thanks for serving our country. Thanks for working with these kids every day on the sport they love. Thanks for serving our community like you do."?

What can I possibly give him that says "Thank you for saving my son.....?"

If I thought cutting off my arm would be an adequate "thank you," then I'd cut it off. I've said it a few times to my family...."I'd cut off my arm for that man and his family..."

For the rest of my life, there will be room in my home and in my life for this man and his family, no matter what, no matter when. For the rest of my life I will remember his sacrifice and compassion. For the rest of my life I will feel that lump in my throat when I think of what he did for us.

Yes, I have put similar words in a letter to him and his wife, hoping to convey these words that simply seem impossible to convey. But, there are times when it would just be easier to open our hearts and let somebody read what is written upon it.

And so I am feeling (navy) blue today because I am at a loss. Some ideas are starting to trickle in, but nothing, NOTHING, seems adequate.

Any suggestions?

1 comment:

Susiewearsthepants said...

mmmmmm........it's kinda hard to repay someone for saving the life of your child, you got me on that one