Monday, July 21, 2008

THE BLOG DAYS OF SUMMER

I have three drafts in my blog file of posts that I have started but didn't feel deserved the actual clicking of the "publish" button.

I have had many things to talk about. I've wanted to talk about my friend's new baby and what a miracle he is.

I've wanted to talk about my dog Cookie and her irrational behavior lately.

I've wanted to talk about purchasing a new cell phone for Kayla.

I've wanted to talk about my son's upcoming 17th birthday and the overwhelming emotions that accompany it.

And today I decided I needed to write a letter to the makers of Hefty products. You know. To help them become a better company.

But, as you can see....nothing appears on the screen.

I think I am experiencing a severe case of writer's block.

And I'm not even a writer. (Does that mean I could suffer from tennis elbow when I haven't picked up a racket since high school P.E.?)

I type the words but they lack zest. There is no zing. There is no humor. There is no stinging wit or sarcasm. And I am a big fan of stinging wit and sarcasm.

I've had a lot on my plate this summer; actual tasks to accomplish as well as emotional balls to juggle.

Perhaps it is the hectic schedule we are keeping. Perhaps it is the melancholy that seems to have settled upon me with the realization that I now have two high school students living in my household. And that means I can count on one hand the number of years before both of my children leave home.

Perhaps it is the oppressive heat and humidity that not only robs me of energy but also of any cognitive thought.

Perhaps it is getting my mother moved into her new house.

Perhaps it is grief that is making me feel so disconnected and unfocused. After all, it has only been 3 months since my dad died.

Whatever it is; I hope to conquer it soon. I hope to find that zest again. I hope to find something at which to aim my stinging wit and sarcasm.

Until then, I'm just going to go with it. This laziness of summer that makes us move at a slower pace. I'm just going to be that old hound dog that lies on the step in the summer heat and dozes in the sun, swatting flies with my tail.

Oh Autumn, please hurry. Please hurry and rescue me from these long hot blog days of summer.

3 comments:

Paul W said...

"And I am a big fan of stinging wit and sarcasm."

This will clearly be nominated for the understatement of the year!

Love you,

Pauley

HW said...

Paul W-
Wait, what?

Susiewearsthepants said...

I feel your pain. The most interesting thing I had to blog about today was moldy bread! Even this post about your writer's block is funny. I keep coming back for more stinging wit and sarcasm.