Sunday, July 27, 2008

ENLIGHTENED AND EXHAUSTED

Wow!

I am certainly not used to reading so many comments on my blog. Nothing like putting a controversial topic out there to get people to chime in. Of course, I didn't exactly put it subtley; I came right out and said "answer me this..."

And they did.

And I have learned some things:

I've learned that my children are blessed to be going to what we consider an outstanding public school; because there are some really lousy ones out there.

I've learned there are countless reasons to homeschool - medical issues, individual learning issues, scheduling issues, disdain for the public school system all around. Lots of things.

I've learned the word "educrat." And apparently I am one.

I've learned that many of the questions we ask homeschoolers can be turned around and asked to us. And I kind of like that.

I've learned that some don't mind being questioned about their choices when the questioning is done respectfully; while others...well, they might have been a little ticked off at me and thought my questions were stupid.

That's the trouble with the written word, you can never be sure you are putting out the right tone. You can have the best of intentions and the kindest of thoughts while you write, but it may still come across to some as downright snotty. And perhaps the reverse is true with me; maybe I've read some posts and taken them wrong. Open mind - we all need to have an open mind.

I already knew that homeschoolers were passionate about their choices, so the passion with which these responses were made did NOT surprise me.

No, I have not decided to homeschool my children; we are thrilled with the progress they are making in life walking their current paths. So, no, I haven't been converted; but I don't intend to try to convert any of them either.

But I do like my new insight. I am glad to have "met" other homeschoolers besides the ones in our lives who have made me angry with their attacks on our choices. Because that was my intent - to reach out for information that would help me to conquer my own tendency to stereotype and make gross generalizations.

But can I confess something here?

I've been nervous.

Because I'm such a peacemaker (some would say wimp) I have been nervous all weekend about the thought of offending people. I mean I wouldn't want to make anybody MAD. And we all know if we want to make anybody mad (especially moms) we just have to question their parenting choices. So as much as I am enjoying the responses and, OH MY GOSH, the fact that my comments have reached at least TWENTY, I don't know if it's worth it. I mean I am going to think long and hard before tackling another controversial topic - like say breastfeeding, the death penalty, the upcoming election.

Because I'm not sure my nerves can take it.

But yippee!!! I no longer have to say I have ONES of readers. I think I can now accurately number my readership in the TENS. Of course I'm no Pioneer Woman but still.....

Now if only I can get these homeschool moms to keep coming back when I'm talking about things like cleavage and black napkins.

You know. The important stuff.

11 comments:

Ami said...

Well, I added your blog to my reader list, so it will let me know when you update.

I see educrats as those who are being paid to dispense a one-size-fits-all education (unable to consider anything but their own system... the one paying them). They're very narrow and very limited in their ability to think.

So no, you're not one.

And I agree, your questions are not stupid. I once had many of the same questions. I've found my answers. Hope the responses you got helped you find some answers, too.

Paul W said...

So, I guess I can put my weapons away out of fear that our home was going to be set on fire by complete strangers?

Whew....

Pauley

p.s. I actually don't own any weapons. Well, our dog Cookie did kill two rabbits in the yard tonight while our neighbors watched, so I guess that is something like a weapon.

p.s.s. For HW's new found blogo-friends, I'm her very much a smart-@##, but loving husband.

Jody said...

I don't think your questions were really that controversial or stupid :). I liked answering them actually. I also don't think you are an educrat :). I am glad you had an open mind about your questions and not being judgemental (I hope I didn't come off judgemental either). So I hope you are not so nervous now :).

Shaun said...

I hope you recover from the flood of responses! I think we should all be so curious and open to learn from other people. Homeschoolers should know that you don't learn anything new if you don't ask -- no stupid questions, only stupid answers, right? (I hope none of my answers were too stupid!)

Honestly, anyone who could get their panties in a bunch over your polite questions is not worth worrying about!

Kandi said...

Funny you mentioned the breastfeeding controversy. It came to mind when I read your first homeschooling post because I always think they are similar arguments- one parents choice over anothers. Also, I kind of put my Dad is his place last week when he was running his mouth about my SIL's choice to breastfeed.

Susiewearsthepants said...

I hope when you are glorying in all your blogging success at having tens of readers you remember the faithful ONES of readers..sigh.

HW said...

Susie-
I will never forget you. For in those days I have wanted to give up blogging completely there is a small voice saying "do it for susiewearsthepants....remember Susie."
Trust me, the numbers will fall off now that the controversy is gone.

Debbie said...

I just happened upon your blog by chance, but I just wanted to say I think your questions were well thought out and completely respectful. My impression was that you were genuinly interested in why the hell we would homeschool! ;) lol
I am a homeschooler who isn't religious, a topic I just wrote a post on. Talk about controversial!
Anyway, you're an interesting writer - I've added you to my favourite's list. :)

Doc said...

Educrat, no. They're paid to be offended.

And I wouldn't yet put you on the "edutard" list.

Actually, I added your blog to my reader, if for no other reason, than to keep an eye on you. Just kidding. You have spunk.

My blogger name links to my old blog. My regular every day blog is Doc's Sunrise Rants

HW said...

Debbie -
I'm glad you happend by. I'll head over to your blog and read your controversy.

Doc-
Uh Oh! Am I on the homeschoolers watch list? Cause really my posts are usually not so interesting. But I don't mind being called spunky.

Ety said...

I came on this discussion just recently, but it is still a fascinating one. Most of us understand not wanting to offend others with our opinions, but on the other hand, I think we all need to respect one another's opinions, and respect one another's right to have different opinions.

The bottom line is that the only one who can determine what is best for your children are you and your husband.

I can tell you exactly why I chose to homeschool (for 11 years and now both will be graduating from college this year, one with a bachelor's, the other with her masters.) It was because of socialization. I made my decision by evaluating the product coming out of the public school system and didn't care for what I saw. In fact, I sat in my car in the high school parking lot after school for several days. I listened to what the kids talked about and watched their attitudes and behavior. This experience absolutely confirmed my decision to homeschool.

Folks usually seem to think that "socialization" means "social interaction." That's not really true. Socialization is the process by which we learn the social norms of our society. Left to themselves, kids seem to develop a pecking order which is neither fair and often cruel. Peer pressure results. And once social peer pressure is on, real academic learning seems to go out the window.

I think part of the reason some homeschoolers get so defensive about homeschooling is because we've been given such a hard time about it, usually from family and friends. We just end up being defensive out of a sense of survival! Reading back over what I wrote, I probably sound defensive too. :) But again, if you feel that the public schools are training children in the way you want yours trained, then you need apologize to anyone.