Thursday, September 18, 2008

HOPE FLOATS...

So my back is killing me. For two days it's been killing me.

Why?

Because I hunched over a long piece of silver sparkly fabric, on a garage floor, tracing letters for the freshman homecoming float.

OK, so I only traced about four letters. But they were pretty big.

And I narrowly escaped having to trace more because each time I found a teenager wandering around with nothing to do I'd say "Hey, Suzie Q want to trace some letters?"

And she'd say "Um....I'm, like, not really good at, like tracing," and wander off.

So I'd catch the next one.

"Hey Kitten, want to trace?"

"Well...I don't really like to trace." And then she left with her head bent over whatever text message she was reading. Or sending.

"Um...kids. Those of you who have nothing to do, need to come over here and trace letters," said Mrs. W in her best don't - let - them - see - you - sweat voice.

So I placed a pencil in a an adolescent hand and let the kids do the tracing.

And then.

When it came time to start cutting the letters, I actually heard a voice say "Um...I'm like, not very good at, like, cutting."

And that is when Mrs. W. envisioned herself hog tying some of these kids with royal blue crepe paper streamers and wheeling them to the corner on a dolly. With a CLASS OF 2012 sign protruding from their ear.

But I didn't. Instead I said something very encouraging.

"Look, girls. This isn't kindergarten. All of you know how to cut and trace, and you need to be doing this, not us moms."

"And if you don't work on these letters, then you can't be in my club."

Not really on the club thing, but they all used to say that to each other in first grade, so I WAS thinking it.

And then I grabbed my purse and went to Menard's with Mrs. R to buy sticky letters, green duct tape and white paint pens. Because if there is shopping to be done, then I'm your man...er...woman.

And it's probably a good thing my daughter didn't hear my above statement about kindergarten because I might have gotten in trouble for being sassy. But my daughter was off working on a job. Probably because she somehow was under the impression that if I didn't see her working productively the entire time WE were at the float building session, she might be in just a little bit of trouble. I don't know where she picked up on that vibe, but I'm just guessing she might have been thinking along those lines.

In all actuality the kids are doing an excellent job with this float. They came up with an idea that is fairly simple to put together but that will really pop as it glides down the street. And we really had a good group of workers the other night - just the right number, as we all know that too many workers can really become chaotic.

And one week from tomorrow, that float will be rolling down the main street of a little farm community, freshman dads hoping all the nuts and bolts hold, freshman moms hoping the fringe is long enough, freshman girls and boys thrilled over the job they've done - passing out candy to the little ones on the sidewalk.

And in the back of our minds - at least for the moms and the girls - will be the preparations to come the next day.

Hair appointments.

Flowers.

Pictures.

Jewelry.

Pictures.

High heels.

Sparkly purses.

Pictures.

Curfew.

Yes, Kayla's first high school dance is on the horizon.

Somehow I think I'll be much busier with her that day than I've ever been with her brother.

6 comments:

Laura said...

So I guess I see what I have to look forward to...especially with two girls! :)

Unknown said...

aww....crazy but exciting!! yay! lol..now me, i have three girls...yikes!

HW said...

laura and ijecsmommy -

Girls are indeed magical and great fun. But, oh the drama!!
There's no drama with boys; but there's also no shopping with boys.

Kandi said...

I didn't go to a dance until I was a sophomore. Even then I don't think I went to all of them after that. My Mom also never went shopping for a dress with me and never paid for them either. She never did like to shop though. I hope everything goes well for her first dance though!

Beaner said...

Jessica was telling me about the "club" she's in at school today - made up of 5 little 2nd-grade girls. Too funny. And you're right about the drama.....and the shopping!

Susiewearsthepants said...

Don't ya just love the thrill of daughters? Keri on HER own, went shopping online at Limited Too and even put her items "in the cart" to see how much it was. I'm doomed I tell you, doomed.