Thursday, September 04, 2008

STEPPING ON TOES

I have to say that I'm a little surprised at the big deal being made about Sarah Palin choosing to have a child that she knew would have Down Syndrome.

I guess I'm surprised because it would never for one second enter my mind to terminate a pregnancy because the baby was going to be imperfect; and that makes it hard for me to fathom anybody else's choice to do just that. You know, sometimes you have a belief that is so ingrained in you, so much a part of your spirit, that it really is hard to see that there's another view.

Yes, Sarah Palin's choice, in my mind was the right one but I suspect, like me and so many other conservatives it really wasn't a choice. I suspect she didn't have to give it any thought or take time to "consider her options."

I suspect, like me and so many other conservatives, she probably said "It's my child. There are no options." Or something like that.

After all, which of us, which of our children, was born perfect, without flaw? And for those of us who did give birth to children who had no special needs, are we suddenly going to give up on them if, God forbid, something happened to them that suddenly placed them in the "Special Needs" category? If our "perfect" children suddenly became "imperfect" are we going to somehow pawn them off on somebody else because they have become an inconvenience and no longer fit into our family's or society's idea of "perfect?" Are we suddenly going to say "it's not fair to make them live a life of suffering" or "I'm not equipped to handle the needs of such a child?"

If Sarah Palin had terminated her pregnancy because her child was going to have special needs; if she and her husband had decided they weren't able to handle such demands or that it was not fair to bring a child into this world who would have needs greater than the average child, then what would that say about how they viewed their other children? Would it have said they were loved and cherished as long as they were healthy and convenient? Would it have said that as long as they looked like the average American child and had no scars or features that marred their stereotypical American beauty, then they would be loved? But as soon as there's an accident, as soon as something tragic happens and those children interfere with their lives and their ideals, then what?

You're on thin ice, children. We love you now, but if you have an accident that inconveniences us for the rest of our lives...you're out of here!! Only perfect children for us!

And that's where I have a problem with terminating a pregnancy because a child has been determined to be "imperfect." Everyday, we are all at risk of losing our health. Every day we are all at risk of something happening that will require us to live at the mercy of those around us. And yet, it's OK to decide that an unborn child that will be imperfect is not deserving of life.

As you can see, I am pro life. The abortion issue is the one issue that I, ignorantly perhaps, cannot seem to grasp the other side's viewpoint. I've tried, and I can't. I will not change their minds and they will not change mind.

As for the issue of abortion in the case of rape or incest, here is my answer:

I DON'T KNOW.

I find it hard to judge a woman who chooses an abortion in that situation. I do not think, even then, I would make that choice, but I would not judge a woman who made that decision FOR THAT REASON - or of course for the necessity of saving the life of the mother.

But according to these statistics, only one percent of abortions are performed for cases of rape or incest. Six percent are performed for reasons regarding the health of the mother or the child (again is that our expectations of perfection - abortions for reasons of the health of the child?) and NINETY THREE PERCENT are performed for social reasons - an unwanted or inconvenient pregnancy.

NINETY THREE PERCENT. That's a lot of babies who are denied life simply because they are inconvenient. And yes, I know Pro Choice activists are adamant that a woman has a right to choose what she does with her body.

True.

But each time an abortion is performed, there is a body that is being denied its very potential for life. And it's not the mother's.

12 comments:

Jody said...

I so agree with you. I guess it's just something I will never understand of those who choose it for social reasons. 93% is just sad.

Roxanne said...

Agree. Agree. Nodding fervently.

Ami said...

I've never been faced with the choice to continue or terminate a pregnancy, so I don't feel I can make that choice for others.

I think it's tragic for someone to kill a baby, and that she will have to answer for it, but she doesn't owe ME the explanation, ya know?

I also wish that every child be wanted by its parents and come into the world loved and cared for.

I have no answers. Evidently all I can offer is aimless rambling.

HW said...

ami-
Good point.
I certainly don't feel like anybody owes ME an explanation for their actions. In fact, just like any action, once an abortion is done, it's done; and I can certainly continue to love and cherish that woman. After all, I am most certainly not without mistakes in my life.

My hope is that more women would make the choice NOT to go that route.

I don't consider your comment "aimless rambling." Just because you've never been in a situation doesn't mean you can't have an opinion on it.

Fiona Picklebottom said...

This is very well-written. I make it a point to not talk politics or religion with anyone, because they are such touchy subjects with so many people and people get defensive so quickly instead of trying to see the point the other side is trying to make, but I will admit to being surprised as well. Not just because I too could never consider terminating a pregnancy, but because making a big deal out of her choice to have the baby implies that the general consensus is that it was a bad decision. Why? People with downs syndrome live happy fulfilled lives. I have a brother-in-law with downs and he is a fantastic person. He lives a happy and fulfilled life.

Vicky said...

You said it so much better than I could. I stumbled upon your blog a few posts back and enjoy it so much that I keep coming back.

You are right on the mark with this post.

I also would have to say "I don't know" in cases of rape or incest. Except that I do know if it were a decision I had to make. I could never choose abortion. Period. I would never attempt to make that choice for anyone else.

Anonymous said...

I figured that most abortions are done for convienence but I was suprised at 93%. I see it as a necessary evil in cases of health for the mother, etc.

Too bad society had made the decision all or nothing.

Kandi said...

I don't agree with abortion and certainly would never choose that path for myself, I think even under some of the circumstances you mentioned I'd still go through with the pregnancy. I do know a woman who had an abortion and then got pregnant again and kept the child. I do not judge her for either of her choices since they were not mine to make. She loves her daughter so much though and I'd guess that she has some regret. She mentioned that the depression that followed the abortion was too great for her to endure a second time.
At any rate, the only thing that scares me about making abortion illegal would be all the illegal and unsafe(black market or self inflicted) abortions that would occur afterwards.

Susiewearsthepants said...

When I got pregnant at 15 it never occurred to me to have an abortion. I guess I was born pro life. Thank God I made the choice I did, or I wouldn't have my beautiful Melissa. Don't get me wrong, the early years were hard and we were poor. We made it through somehow. There was always food on the table and clothes on my little girl's back. It's sad that choosing to KEEP a child seems wrong to people. I just don't understand it and probably never will. If one of my daughters were to become pregnant, I have to say I would advise her to keep the baby or give it to a loving family. There are so many couples who move heaven and earth to have a baby.

Unknown said...

Actually, I'm Pro-Choice. I believe that a woman has the full right to choose whether or not to get into bed with a man and have intercourse.

But once a life has been created, then any destruction of that life is murder.

Also, what if the unborn baby is a female. What happens to HER right to make choices about HER body?

Beaner said...

Susie (& Heidi)- I wonder what the statistics are for women having abortions who come from unsupportive & loving families? I think a lot more parental involvement would cut the numbers of girls looking for assurance & love in all the wrong place AND in the event that she made a mistake, that loving family could help her make the right choice.

Beaner said...

Oops - that should read unsupportive & UNloving - I hope you knew what I meant!