Sunday, March 01, 2009

ON DATING...

Every now and then I have to remind Blake that his sister already has two parents and he is not one of them.

Blake, you are not the third parent around here.

This usually occurs when the subject of dating comes up for his little sister.

He has his own very clear ideas on WHEN she should be allowed to date and WHOM she should be allowed to date. The interesting thing is that these ideas keep changing.

When Kayla started high school he had a talk with us to make sure that we were indeed smart enough to forbid Kayla from dating a junior or a senior. In fact, he added, there is no reason for her to date a sophomore or anybody that can drive since she isn't allowed to car date. IS SHE?

Then he pointed out that if she were to be seen hanging out with a junior or a senior, said junior or senior boy would find himself in quite a jam because since Bronson and Andrew (our school's top wrestlers) have graduated he's pretty sure he could take anybody in our school and these upper class men would be sorry they looked at his sister.

Upon hearing this, I pictured myself jumping up and down and pumping the air with my fist - perhaps offering him money. I could totally handle having him suspended from school if it was to protect his sister's honor. But I simply said something along the lines of "Well, that's for your dad and me to handle...."

It appears, though, that Kayla and Blake have dating discussions quite often on the way to school. And although Kayla won't reveal all of their conversations (what happens in the Jeep stays in the Jeep) she has indicated that her big brother keeps changing his dating rules on her.

First the rules went something like this:

No dating juniors or seniors.
No dating any boys from another school.
No dating any boy who already had his license.

Then he added:
No dating any boy who was NOT a wrestler.

Now, evidently Blake has amended his dating rules again:

No dating wrestlers because they are too dumb - his words not mine. When Kayla pointed out that he was a wrestler. He simply said "I know."
No dating anybody that does not attend our church.
No dating ANYBODY until Blake is at least twenty and is a trained marine or soldier and highly skilled in numerous forms of combat. In other words, until Blake is able to kill somebody without leaving a mark.

Since this final list of rules sounds just about right to me, I will be having them notarized tomorrow. Then we three parents can sign off on it.

Sorry, Kayla.

4 comments:

Ami said...

You know, I can't remember which professional athlete said this, and I'm too lazy to look it up, but it was along the lines of, "First guy that comes to pick up my daughter is gonna die. I figure after that, word will get out."

I think it's really sweet that your son is such a caring big brother.

HW said...

Ami-
At a purity retreat she attended, Kayla was supposed to write down things to say to a guy who was getting to "fresh." My favorite was "My dad's not afraid to go to prison."

Roxanne said...

I loved "What happens in the Jeep stays in the Jeep." :)

I have a brother. And I have a son and a daughter. . .they have conversations too. :)

Susiewearsthepants said...

LOL, this is sweet and funny. I bet when you and Paul had Blake, you never imagined he one day help you raise your daughter. The girls have private conversations too. It really surprises me since they are so far apart in age. You have great kids HW!