Friday, February 27, 2009

THE SOUTH BEACH DIET DROPOUT

About four weeks ago, I broke up with South Beach.

I had been with him for 3 weeks before I had to give him the "it's not you; it's me" speech. Except it was him.

Even though I lost 7 pounds in two weeks, it just didn't feel right for me. And it's not because I couldn't eat chocolate. It's because I couldn't eat a banana.

And the ban on some of the purest and simplest food seemed somehow wrong to me.

And to my colon; but we won't talk about that.

Anyway.

Paul and I decided to go on this South Beach diet together with the clear agreement that we would not police each other. We would never say "you're not supposed to have that," or question each other's choices.

We ended up deciding at the same time that it was not a diet for us - without input from each other.

Here's the thing about Paul.

He makes a lousy diet partner.

He simply does not whine enough.

He never once banged his head on the kitchen counter and whined "I miiiiiiiisss chocolate-uh."
He never once gazed wistfully into space and sighed "if only I was built like my sister."
He never once opened up about being an emotional eater or tried to explore WHY he reached for a cookie when he was sad. He just wouldn't share.
He never once looked at the calendar and tried to decide the date by which he'd once again be able to tuck in his shirt.

He simply ate his cheese sticks and pecans and went on about his day.

He obviously doesn't get this dieting thing.

Now Kayla wants to do a modified carb diet. There is no way on God's green earth that she needs it but she has assured me she just wants to feel a little better and get a little leaner for softball. After giving it much thought for several days, I've decided that her mindset is healthy and that I'd let her do this, and I'll do it with her if she wants. We'll simply limit french fries, baked potatoes, white bread and candy, but we will NOT ban fruit from our diets.

But let me make myself clear on this. If she does not whine the entire time I'm out of there.

9 comments:

Obi-Mom Kenobi said...

Not even one little head bang? Yeah, you need to drop him as a dieting partner immediately. Paul needs to understand that that kind of behavior could get him killed.

Paul W said...

We were on a diet together? I wish you would have told me about that.

Pauley

Stephanie said...

I'm not exactly one to give healthy eating/diet advice, HOWEVER, the Carb Addicts Diet works great (if you can stay on it). Basically, no carbs during the day. For dinner you can eat what you want (within reason, of course, but if you want a banana or a bowl of cereal or a SINGLE cookie, go for it). The catch is you have to eat your dinner meal with one hour (has something to do with insulin release and cravings.) May sound loopy, but it really works and you still get your fiber and vitamin C!

Stephanie said...

That should have said "within one hour" . . .

Susiewearsthepants said...

I have never needed to diet, but a couple of years ago, I tried to cut back on the unhealthy food I was eating. I was eating burgers and fries.......a lot. It didn't make me gain weight but I was SO FRIGGIN TIRED in the afternoons. Anyway I am not going to tell you what to do, but I wish you good luck in your eating endeavor.

Oh, and we could never cut out fruit from this house, my children would see me boiled in oil.

Roxanne said...

I feel the pain of the "need to lose weight" thing.

Oh, boy. . .do I need to. And I know HOW to. . .and I keep TRYING to. . .

I must use the Yoda book of dieting. "Do or not do. There is no try."

lesherj said...

considering that the first phase in the South Beach Diet is designed to stabilize your blood-sugar levels and eliminate cravings for sugary foods and refined starches, it makes completes sense to eliminate all fruit for 2 weeks (Phase 1) of the diet.. During phase 2 you are allowed to eat fruit again.. Following nutritional rules is difficult for anyone, and I guess if you can't refrain from eating a specific food for only 14 days, then you don't want to lose weight that bad anyway.. Losing weight sucks, take it from me, health is a journey that we're all on and it's challenging, but in perspective the after-effect is so much better than the short-term suffering over not being able to eat a favorite food..

lesherj said...

considering that the first phase in the South Beach Diet is designed to stabilize your blood-sugar levels and eliminate cravings for sugary foods and refined starches, it makes completes sense to eliminate all fruit for 2 weeks (Phase 1) of the diet.. During phase 2 you are allowed to eat fruit again.. Following nutritional rules is difficult for anyone, and I guess if you can't refrain from eating a specific food for only 14 days, then you don't want to lose weight that bad anyway.. Losing weight sucks, take it from me, health is a journey that we're all on and it's challenging, but in perspective the after-effect is so much better than the short-term suffering over not being able to eat a favorite food..

lesherj said...

considering that the first phase in the South Beach Diet is designed to stabilize your blood-sugar levels and eliminate cravings for sugary foods and refined starches, it makes completes sense to eliminate all fruit for 2 weeks (Phase 1) of the diet.. During phase 2 you are allowed to eat fruit again.. Following nutritional rules is difficult for anyone, and I guess if you can't refrain from eating a specific food for only 14 days, then you don't want to lose weight that bad anyway.. Losing weight sucks, take it from me, health is a journey that we're all on and it's challenging, but in perspective the after-effect is so much better than the short-term suffering over not being able to eat a favorite food..