Wednesday, February 25, 2009

COLOR ME CRAZY

Before she left for school today, Kayla asked if I could make it to the store today to buy some crayons - lots of crayons, like 64. I had to smile to myself because I thought I was beyond the new crayon stage; but she needs them to do a school project. She reminded me that Crayola would be best.

Um...she didn't have to tell me that.

Kelly? If you are reading this, you can stop because you've heard the story coming up.

So.

When the freshman class officers were working on their fundraisers earlier in the year, Kayla offered to do the posters for them. Although we had plenty of markers in the house, we didn't have any fat markers.

Chris? If YOU are reading this, I promise to someday post about my love of markers. Remember, what happens at the retreat stays at the retreat...Confession coming soon.

Moving on.

Since Paul was on his typical Sunday errand to buy the paper on the day Kayla started the posters, I called him and said "Could you please run into Walgreens and buy two packs of CRAYOLA MARKERS. We really need Crayola because they are the best."

And he said sure.

He came home with four packs of markers from the Dollar Tree - not Crayola.

Fast forward about two weeks.

Kayla was working on a poster for their fundraiser in which they were holding a raffle for a big Valentine gift basket and I decided to help.

We needed lots of pink and red.

I grabbed a deluxe Dollar Tree red marker and started making letters.

They looked orange.

So I grabbed a deluxe Dollar Tree black marker to outline it.

It looked green.

Then Mommy lost her mind.

I went straight to the basement where Paul was asleep on the couch. Nobody slights me when it comes to markers.

I woke him up so that he could watch my head spin on my shoulders.

Do you remember when I asked you to bring home those markers a couple of weeks ago? Remember how I clearly said CRAYOLA MARKERS? You didn't buy crayola. MY RED AND BLACK LETTERS LOOK ORANGE AND GREEN. Orange and green are not Valentine colors. I asked for Crayola markers.

CRAAAAAY - OOOOOO - LLLLAAAAA MMMMMAAAAAAARRRKERS.

Why must we always get the cheap stuff. I don't mind the cheap stuff for some things, but now our Valentine poster is orange and green.

CRAAAAAY - OOOOOO - LLLLAAAAAA MMMMMAAAARRRKERS.

I ASKED FOR CRAYOLA MARKERS!!!!!! You said you'd bring Crayola. THESE. ARE. NOT . CRAYOLA.

And I stomped away in a self righteous snit.

Because in twenty two years of marriage I've learned it is good to be calm and rational when really important things come up. You know - present your side of things with peace and love.

I do think, though, that as I walked up the stairs I heard Paul asking God to send a meteor to land on him.

Go figure.

Since the Freshman class earned over seven hundred dollars on the Valentine basket, I learned something very important.

You don't really need lots of pink and red for Valentine's day.

Orange and green will do just fine.

3 comments:

Susiewearsthepants said...

I don't know that a man can truly appreciate the value of the Crayola markers and crayons. I bet he never brings you off brand markers again. :)

HW said...

Susie-
I don't know. Let's ask him. Hey Paul? Will you ever bring me generic markers again?

Paul W said...

Absolutely, positively, YES. They cost a $1. What a bargain. She forgot to mention that my weekly Dollar Tree run is to buy the Sunday Paper for a $1, a $.75 savings!!!