Friday, February 06, 2009

THE PITTER PATTER OF LITTLE KEYS

Guess what I'm typing on...

The cutest little notebook computer EVER. The screen is about 5x7 and the keyboard is a tiny little space - will take some getting used to.

But it's mine. All mine. I will no longer have a teenager (of the male variety) standing behind me while I work on the family computer saying "how much longer?" "Will you be done by the time I'm out of the shower?" "I DO have homework."

In fact, today when said teenager wanted to sit down and try out this tiny little thing, I stood over his shoulder and said "How much longer?" "I have an assignment to do." "Will you be done when I get out of the shower." "My readers are counting on me."

Because turning 42 has made me that much more mature.

Yep. It's my birthday. And while the day looks to be a quiet, uneventful day, I love birthdays. I even love turning 42. Because if I wasn't turning 42; I'd be...well...dead. And I'm not ready to be dead yet.

The neat thing about this birthday is that I've made my kids happy TWICE already today. One, I got a new computer, giving them more time on the family keyboard. Two, I've told them that, no, I won't be offended if they don't join us for dinner tonight. Blake has a big wrestling meet tomorrow and likes to be in bed quite early. And Kayla has plans to go ice skating. I told them that we could go out as a family on Sunday and the important thing was that I got my gift...

You know. That maturity thing again.

I must say this little baby computer (computerette? computerling?) is quite a pleasant surprise. Isn't my husband thoughtful? He totally gets how much I wanted a space of my own when it came to blogging. He totally gets how I love my words.

He's totally hoping I'll become the next Erma Bombeck and bring in some cash. But that's not gonna happen. There will never be another Erma.

I miss Erma.

Soon, when I learn how to navigate this little thing a little better, I'll post a picture. Because everybody loves baby pictures.

Okay, funny birthday story.

On Tuesday evening, Blake walked in after practice and immediately said "Happy Birthday Mom."

"Thanks, but my birthday is Friday."

"Ryan S. said it was today."

"First, what are you doing listening to Ryan S about my birthday and second, how would he know?"

"Well, he said he heard Kayla talking about it in Geometry...so he told me it was today."

I laughed so hard I thought I'd wet myself all over my new hardwood floor.

Turns out, Kayla was telling her friends that she didn't know if she could go ice skating on Friday 'cause it was her mom's birthday. All Ryan heard was that it was her mom's birthday, and at lunch reminded Blake that it was my birthday and to tell me Happy Birthday.

It IS the thought that counts.


Anyway, thanks, Honey for this most generous of gifts. I will do my best to go forth and prosper with it.

6 comments:

Susiewearsthepants said...

Happy Birthday to you! I hope you have a wonderful birthday. I love reading your blogs and I am happy you have your very own computer in which to record many deep and intellectual(did I spell that correctly?) thoughts. You know, I should go back and look and see how long we have been blog friends. It will fun to see about when I our anniversary is. Gee, that came out of nowhere. Anyway, have a great day today!

HW said...

Susie
Oh! a blog-o-versary! Can we have cake?

Paul W said...

Hey....hope your having a Happy Birthday. I've been caughing/sneezing all morning and Dr. Bob said to "go home"!!! He didn't have to tell me twice.....I'm on my way.

btw....I finally got commenting about the HFCS and Mercury on that other Blog.....

PW

Roxanne said...

Can't wait to see a photo of your new baby. . .and that thing about your son was HILARIOUS. Oh, my.

Happy Birthday.

Beaner said...

Happy Belated! What a nice friend Blake has to remind him about your birthday! VERY thoughtful! I can't wait to see a pic of your new baby too!!! Hope you had a good day & I hope you're enjoying this beautiful weather this weekend!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday, 42 is young and the alternative does not sound appealing!
Enjoy your new toy, I prefer computerette.....very nice.