Wednesday, February 04, 2009

THE PRESIDENTIAL ESCALATION TEAM...

Thunk! Thunk! Thunk!

Periodically, over the last two weeks I have been banging my head against a brick wall.

The reason for this oddly comforting behavior is my ten day battle with our mail order prescription company. They lost the prescription for my migraine medication and seemed very unwilling to help.

Thunk! Thunk! Thunk!

So each day for more than a week, I called the toll free number and talked to a different customer service representative who was absolutely no help at all.

Which caused me to need my migraine medicine.

Which I couldn't get.

Thunk! Thunk! Thunk!

Essentially, the battle for my migraine medication had brought on a couple of migraines.

I know.

The irony is enough to make my eye twitch.

As each person listened to my tale of woe and then proceeded to tell me that there was basically nothing they could do to correct THEIR mistake I became more and more certain that I would:

a) suffer a stroke
b)experience my head spinning in circles on my shoulders while spewing green vomit
c)start insulting their mothers

You would think when a customer says "Yes, I've been waiting THREE WEEKS on a prescription..." SOMEBODY would say they would get right on that and take care of the matter.

Um....not so much.

OH! And evidently, when they say a prescription is going to be expedited, that means once it's found, sent to the pharmacy, entered into the computer and packaged, THEN they start the expediting. NO OTHER PHASE of the process will move any faster. ONLY the mailing part is expedited. So be under no delusion that anybody is rushing around taking care of your problem. Only the UPS man is expected to hurry.

So after waiting three weeks for my medication, and getting nowhere by calling the number on the back of our membership card, I turned to the only person I could think of

Google.

I googled "president/CEO Express Scripts" and found the name George Paz.

Not only did I find Mr. Paz's name but I found the phone number of the corporate headquarters in St. Louis - and the address.

Now, as much as I wanted to hop in my mini van and drive to St. Louis to give them what for, I didn't. I simply called them.

First, the nice receptionist patched me through to the same ole' customer service line that I had dealt with for a week, so I told them my story, got no sympathy at all, hung up and called the corporate headquarters again.

This time I said "I'm just a customer and I need to file a complaint. No, I do not need to speak to the customer service reps. Do you have a department there in your headquarters that handles customer complaints? Say, a complaint about a prescription being lost and taking three weeks to be processed?"

"We certainly do ma'am. I'm going to let you speak to somebody on our Presidential Escalation Team."

"Thank you so much." Woohoo! The PRESIDENTIAL ESCALATION TEAM. I'm dealing with the big dogs now.

So after telling the PET member my tale of woe and letting them know, as nicely as I could, that it was inexcusable to wait for three weeks on medication, the wheels started moving. I also told them that one of their customer service reps actually told me to just get my prescription filled locally and that I was surprised their customers were being told to take their business elsewhere.

Because sometimes you just feel better when you can tattle on somebody.

Further, when told that I could have my medicine 'overnighted' to me for a fee of $18.00, I suggested that they overnight my medicine to me for FREE since they are the ones that lost my prescription. That worked too. Besides I was going to need that $18.00 for chocolate.

I had my medicine 36 hours later.

Some observations:

A customer should not have to track down the CEO of a company to get reasonable service.

A customer service representative should have some people skills.

A customer service representative should not YAWN while speaking to a customer.

Thunk! Thunk! Thunk!


6 comments:

a portland granny said...

Oh my word--that sounds like what I went through with Verizon for SIX months!! After being put on wait for up to two hours, at times, the rep would come on and tell me it was fixed, until I would see that they had hit up my checking account again. One rep hung up on me! After overcharging me over $200, finally it got resolved, slowly, month by month, dribbling out little credits, until I had my overcharge back. But......I do know how you felt. I felt like my blood pressure sky rocketed on the days I tried to contact them!!

As to a good wine for cooking--I just buy the little packages of 4 little bottle in a holder--red. I don't drink so wouldn't know a good wine from a bad one! I think in cooking it gives a delicious flavor, despite what kind it is.

Hope that helps.

Roxanne said...

You totally cracked me up. I (speaking from DAILY on-the-job-experience) feel rather confident that their customer service department is fully staffed by 8th graders who are skipping school.

Stephanie said...

Let me just say . . .

"YOU GO GIRL!"

Stephanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susiewearsthepants said...

Sorry you had to wait so long to get your medicine. Migraines are the worst! I am however, glad that they shipped it for free. Chocolate is a very good consolation.

Betsy said...

go to the top....ALL the time....I laughed so hard while reading your post (so sorry you suffered for 3 weeks thou)I had to post about my going to the President/CEO of Household Finace....after months of the CS dept saying my acct was overdue (NOT) I got hubby (who has a great database fro CEO's direct numbers..I called Dwayne directly, told him my story..he took my number and within 5 minutes my phone rang..it was the group President of finance and he told me he had 2 hours to correct this issue and report back to the CEO before 5...guess what?? It worked...the CEO called me by 4:30 and informed me that due to the past due status they had mistakenly had my account in, I was due a refund of over 300.00 they had tacked on in additional finance charges...MInd you this was the President/CEO of ALL Household divisions....ahem....he left me with " I don't know how you got my direct number, but please don't make it public"....I'm just saying....lol..

love your blog

Betsy