Tuesday, March 24, 2009

MORE GROWING PAINS

Tonight I have an appointment with a Marine recruiter.

I had read that they were having trouble meeting their quota of overweight middle aged housewives so, for love of country, I decided to enlist.

I'm going to paint my helmet mauve.

Actually, Blake has been meeting with this recruiter for quite some time so Paul and I told Blake that we wanted to meet with him ourselves before we gave our final okay on Blake's plan to enlist.

I asked Blake if Sergeant Gibson has seen combat. Has he been deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan?

He said yes, yes he had.

And I said that was good because then he might be somewhat prepared for me. My goal is to make the recruiter cry.

Oh! I kid.

My friend told me to act real crazy while he's here, then they won't want Blake. I said that wouldn't work because they would feel the need to rescue him. You know, that "never leave a man behind" business.

Blah, blah, blah.

So I decided I'm going to tease my hair real big and put on lots of black eyeliner. Then I'm going to greet him at the door in my Daisy Dukes and clear stiletto heels, smacking my chewing gum, while waving a cigarette around as I talked.

Hi. I'm Bubbles. I can't stay long because I'm working a double shift at the biker bar tonight. But, my oh my, aren't you a big strapping young man. *wink, wink*

Oh, stop. That's not true either.

I did, however, warn Blake that I probably would embarrass him because I intend to serve up a plate of homemade cookies and a pitcher of lemonade. Because that's the kind of thing we do in this house when we have a guest (even if that guest IS trying to steal my baby boy away from me.)

You wouldn't believe how that kind of thing embarrasses a teenage boy. You know - hospitality.

But he said that would be fine and he wouldn't be embarrassed. He said he already "warned" Sergeant Gibson that his mom could easily be the president of Mothers of America (whatever that means) which I think was a reference to the fact that Blake thinks I've approached this parenting job with a, well, um...ferocity? But that's okay. I think it's okay for a Marine to be a little bit afraid of me.

Moms? Can I get an Amen on that?

So I need to get busy jotting down my questions for Sergeant Gibson.

My first one? "Will the United States Marine Corps provide a cot for ME or should I bring my own sleeping bag?" Oh. and "Should I bring a lawn chair to sit in while I watch Blake in PT?" And finally, "Do they have a special menu for moms?"

See, Blake has nothing to worry about tonight.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I can't even imagine. Your son must be special to want to serve his country, but in all honesty, it scares me.
Give it your best shot, and keep the tissues handy.

Beaner said...

Some of my biggest questions would be: What are you going to train him in that he can use in a profession outside of the Marines? What will he get in the way of medical care when he is done serving?

And I'm with Anita - it scares me too. I'm brainwashing Nick every chance I get!

Roxanne said...

Bless your heart. . .and that poor, poor Marine recruiter. I hope you're not the first mom he's had to deal with. He might want to head straight back to Afghanistan. . .or it might just show him even more why your son is such a remarkable young man.

Michele S said...

I can't believe you are handing it THIS well! I'd be freaking out. I'd be thinking of ways to poison the cookies. (I'm KIDDING, but some sucrolose in there for sure. Hee hee hee.)

Gosh, I'm trying to be funny, but I'd be scared to death. Good luck. Maybe he'll change his mind. Fingers crossed.