Monday, September 07, 2009

DAY 3 - LONDON - CONTRIBUTING TO THE DELINQUENCY OF A MINOR

So we arrive at the Original Hard Rock Cafe and by that time I am doing a little Potty Dance.

As we are told that it will be a twenty minute wait in the London drizzle, I begin to panic a little because...HELLO...I must find a loo!!

So the host tells me to wind through the upstairs dining room and then down the narrow flight of stairs and there I will find a toilet.

*They are not called restrooms in England - they are called loos, toilets, "ladies" or "gentleman's" And boy do I feel cultured knowing that.*

So after availing myself of the facilities I climbed back up the narrow staircase, wound my way back through the upstairs dining room and back out into the London drizzle, just as our party was called for dinner.

S0.

Our server took us back through the upstairs dining room, back down the same narrow staircase and into the back of the DOWNSTAIRS dining room. And I had a vague feeling of resentment about retracing my steps.

A very nice young man was our server and when he asked for our drink orders, I was thrilled to be able to say "Iced tea with lemon, please." God bless America. Blake ordered a Coke, Paul ordered water and Kayla ordered a raspberry lemonade.

Then as we waited on our drinks and looked over the menu, Kayla says "Um....Daaddeee....I think I might have ordered an alcoholic beverage."

She pointed out that there were two raspberry lemonades on the menu and what if the server thought she wanted the one with rum in it?

So we were all like - oh surely he would have known you didn't want the alcoholic one - we'll be fine.

And then he brought our drinks and she took a sip and...YOWZA!!! her eyes couldn't get any bigger!!

Wait, says Daddy, let me try... and sure enough, we had just given our underage daughter alcohol.

So I was all like - we can simply explain to the waiter that we need a non-alcoholic raspberry lemonade and we were sorry for the misunderstanding. Paul, however, was all like - Noooooo-uh, we didn't want to offend anybody (wait, what?) and we would just keep it.

So I was all like well, then it's just going to have to sit there and he was all like - no way, that cost 7 pounds, it's going to be drunk (drunk? drank?).

Is anybody that knows Paul surprised at that... anybody?

I spent seven pounds on that booze, somebody's going to drink it...

So since Kayla got a drink of it, we had to let Blake have a drink of it, and then Paul finished off the fruity, girly, alcoholic beverage that was intended for our underage daughter.

Because he's greedy like that.

Then he woke up in the middle of the night with a really bad headache and I was all like - it's the rum, you know? And he was all like - no it can't be that. And I was all like - Uh huh, it's the rum, you big lush. There's Tylenol in my bag over there.

I wonder if the Museum of London would have been more enjoyable had we given our kids booze BEFORE we went though it.






2 comments:

Roxanne said...

When in Rome. . .I mean London. . .I mean. . .you big penny pinchin' lush. :)

Beaner said...

Getting carded is my one of my most favorite things in the world - it makes me feel like someone, somewhere thinks I could possibly be under 21.