Thursday, September 10, 2009

PERMISSION

It is always a little bit disconcerting when the caller ID on the ringing telephone indicates that it's the kids' school calling.

So when that happened just this morning I wondered who was sick, who forgot what, or what function I was being asked to volunteer for.

Instead of any of those things it was Blake asking if I would please tell the school secretary that it was indeed OK for him to watch President Obama's Back to School address.

I'm guessing Blake's Current Events class is watching it today.

I do not fault the school for needing permission for Blake to watch this speech. They do, after all, have to cover all their bases with anything that could be considered politically divisive, even explosive.

But here's the thing.

Blake is eighteen years old.

He is old enough to vote.

In less than nine months he will be leaving for Marine Boot Camp where he will be trained to fight in a war.

He no longer falls under the confines of the city curfew.

And to top it all off, he is more politically astute than his father and I and probably more so than many adults.

I think he is old enough and smart enough to decide if he wants to watch the President give a motivational speech to students.

So I said No way, he absolutely could not watch that Presidential address!

Oh stop. You know I'm kidding.

Actually I apologized to the secretary for having to take time out of her busy day to make a phone call to me because my son forgot to get a permission slip and then I said Yeah, he can watch the president.

As a Republican I see absolutely nothing wrong with President Obama wanting to address our school children. Having seen previews of some of the ads that went with the speech, I was not thrilled with the little montage of stars saying "I pledge to be a servant to President Barack Obama." How about pledging to be a servant to our country?

But that was not enough to make me keep my children from watching our president address our nation's children. As much as we disagree with many of his policies, we have always tried to teach our kids that the office of the president deserves respect. And it can never hurt to listen to a message that is meant to do nothing more than motivate kids to work hard, stay in school, and always try your best.

Because some kids really need to hear that kind of talk...ahem.

Even Blake, who has very strong political opinions (Republican opinions)and, due to his youth, sometimes has a hard time softening his own views to make room for the views of others, has said that he doesn't understand what all the uproar has been about. "There is nothing wrong with our president addressing school kids. Other presidents have done it," he told me the other night when I asked how he felt about the controversy surrounding this speech.

When George W. Bush was president I often commented that I had never seen such hatred for a man and I truly felt the attacks on him were vicious and unwarranted. Many of the attacks were against the man and not against his policies.

And now the same is happening with President Obama. There is such hatred and anger surrounding the president that it makes me wonder who would ever want to pursue the office.

Some might think that a Republican such as myself would be glad to see President Obama receive some of the venom that our last president had coming at him from all directions. While I'll admit that the shallow part of me is glad to see the other side realize it's not so easy to do that job, I'm actually just sad about the whole thing.

Isn't it sad that no matter who presides in the Oval Office, there are those who are determined to spend four or eight years full of anger and hatred?

I do not know if there are many left in Washington who truly want to serve our country. I do not know if there are many left who think of country first and self last, as they all claim while they are campaigning. The few who truly want to serve country first are drowned out by the voices of those looking out for number one.

So because there is such a volatile political divide in our country, our children now need permission to watch the President of the United States give a speech.

And now I need to find a way to watch that speech because, when Blake gets home tonight, I don't want him to be able to politically one-up me....again.

No comments: