Thursday, September 03, 2009

IS IT ANY WONDER I'M SO PROUD....

Blake started running cross country last year.

It is important to note that Blake does not like cross country; he merely runs to stay in shape for wrestling. It is a means to an end.

Last week we cross country parents received a wish list from the coach letting us know of different snack items and drinks the team would appreciate having for practices and meets.

Yesterday, being the super mom that I am, I dragged my sorry self to Sam's and bought a few things in bulk; left them on the dining room table with a note for Blake and then headed to a doctor's appointment.
Evidently, when Blake saw the stack of goodies that his martyr of a mother had purchased for his team, he called his father and said something like "I think I may be in trouble because mom went out and bought all this stuff for the team, and, uh, well...I'm not going to run cross country this year."

Oh yes he did.

When he saw me that evening he promised me that he would indeed be able to consume 36 bags of pretzels, 48 nutri-grain bars and a case of Gatorade; so, no need to worry, my money and time were not wasted.

Then he said "Wait, how about if Drew and I load this stuff up and take it to the soup kitchen downtown?"

Which completely stole my thunder, because how could I be mad at him after that?

Seeing as how he is no longer a cross country runner, I am especially glad that Blake brought this photo to my attention. It is a picture of the team last year.


Evidently, Blake and Cody occasionally ran their route in their wrestling singlets because...well, I have no idea why, other than Blake is just like his father was in high school.


JUST. LIKE. HIS. FATHER.


My son is the one in the back. The one wearing the orange cap and the shades. Cody is the other one in the back who also appears to have no shirt on.

Because evidently this was a day they decided to run in their singlets.

I feel a little sorry for Cody's mom because her son did not think to don an orange cap and sunglasses with his singlet while running through the village park.

That pride is mine and mine alone.

*************************

For the zeroes of you who are wondering; I'm going to get back on our vacation story tomorrow. Really I am.

4 comments:

Roxanne said...

First of all, what a good kid.

Secondly, had to laugh about your glory in the orange hat and shades.

Last, *I* have been wondering what was so horrible at the Tower of London that you will be apologizing for it until the NEXT time you go to Europe.

HW said...

Roxanne,
It wasn't the tower of London, it was the Museum of London which caused me to apologize. Nothing real dramatic - I just have to keep my ones of readers wondering.

I've always loved cliff hangers...

tims_mom said...

Can your children be more thoughtful? I only hope my 6yr old son, can think that way, when he is 18.

Eagerly waiting for more vacation stories...school starts on Tuesday here, so I have more time to read!

Nancy

Roxanne said...

Now, see. . .I was WONDERING how the Tower of London could even POSSIBLY be boring. All of those decapitations and prisoners and priceless jewels. . .at least I THINK that's what's there. Hmmmm. . .