Saturday, November 04, 2006

THE ALMIGHTY DOLLAR

We have a new poster hanging up at work. A poster which, according to word from above (meaning corporate office),MUST hang where customers can see it. You would not believe the big to-do that went into hanging this poster. Mainly because it is tacky. It does not fit with the decor of the office. It does not match the cherry wood desks and soft watercolor paintings. But it MUST be hung. I am the lucky one. It is right beside my desk. This is it:

I AM WORKING WEALTH

Earn your first dollar by your labors. Get up early, work late. Get up early and do it again. Keep doing it, even after the dollars start adding up. Smile at challenges. Curse at idleness. Be true to your dream. Don't stop until you achieve it. Then dream another dream. And work to acheieve that. Pass on your values. Not just your assets. Give your family a better life. And the world a better life too. Leave no statues. Leave signs of significance. Working wealth wears no uniform and meets in no club. But you know who you are. We would like to say one thing. Welcome.

(Now,the words alone are very nice. It is the look of the poster that is tacky.)

But I copied the words because some of them are very important.
Earn your money by your OWN labors. Work hard. Do not be discouraged. Do not be lazy. Perservere. Work through challenges. Set goals. And more goals.

PASS ON YOUR VALUES. NOT JUST YOUR ASSETS. I love that. I don't know how many nights i've lain awake wondering if my children will be the wonderful Christian adults I've hoped and worked for them to be. How often have I prayed that I will be the kind of Christian mother that will lead them to Heaven one day? EVERY NIGHT. I have never once wondered if I will be leaving them enough money when I die, or if they will have huge bank accounts as adults.
GIVE YOUR FAMILY A BETTER LIFE. AND THE WORLD A BETTER LIFE TOO. Our family is doing just fine. But what are we doing for the world? HMMMM.
LEAVE SIGNS OF SIGNIFICANCE. Will I?

Now as for working late day after day. I do not agree with CHOOSING to work late because it will get you the better office or the nicer car. I believe in working late because that is what your profession calls you do to - doctor, farmer... and many other jobs, I'm sure. I believe in working late to put food on the table and keep your children in shoes. I do not believe in working late to make a million dollars that will sit in a portfolio and be passed on to your children, so they can add another million and pass it on to their children, so that in 4 generations there are millions of dollars growing on paper and doing nothing to "Give the World a Better Life Too."

And just on a personal note. That part about getting up early. I am fundamentally opposed to that most of the time. There are very few reasons, in my opinion to get up early. And they are
1. A baby in the house
2. Somebody setting a tray of breakfast on your bed
3. A big shopping trip
4. Remembering there is a snickers bar left from the halloween stash and you have to get it before your husband.
Yes, yes, you gotta factor in the jog thing and school. But that doesn't mean I like it.

No comments: