Wednesday, November 15, 2006

JUST TID-BITS

Dad and Marilyn are coming over this weekend. They are staying in the Holiday Inn, which is probably best because my guest room is upstairs and Marilyn has a broken foot...can't wait to see them, but I'm surprised they are making the trip.

As I was telling Kayla our plans with Grandpa this weekend, and the latest BAD news we received from his doctors. She asked "Is he going to live?" And I had to say "We don't know." I hate that. I am SO BAD at not knowing what lies ahead. I fail terribly at the task to "be still and know..." meaning wait and have faith. All of my prayers lately end with a question mark. I do not actually ask questions, but the Lord sees that my heart is one big question mark. "will You let him live?" "Will this be a second chance for our family?" "huh, huh, will it.? Will you give me what I want...?" I know I am being taught to WAIT....

Blake has finally given up his wrestling diet, at least until his body fat test comes back. I will be surprised if he has more than 6% (yes, I love him anyway). I was so thankful this morning when he ate 7 pancakes. I mean really, at 5'10" and 140, what is there to worry about...? Crazy kids. Kayla, (because I know you read this) if you get the crazy notion to diet, I will make you wear "mom" jeans for a month....You are beautiful and have a darling figure.

I ordered Kayla's Christmas dance dress last night. It is called a "50's strapless A-line" Disclaimer: She knows we will have to find a shrug for it. She has accepted the fact that she cannot wear strapless, spaghetti straps or halters without a covering and, praise God, there is never any struggle about it anymore. The dress is a gorgeous burgundy taffeta and is tea length. I think a black velvet or lace shrug will be darling and she will wear her black sparkly ballerina flats (which she wore last week to Sarah W.'s party with her NEW denim skirt and leggings - cute - and the denim skirt was EIGHT DOLLARS)We found the dress on line and, with shipping, paid 55.99. Daddy was thrilled; after he reminded her "you will have to wear something to cover your shoulders all evening." Her response "I KNOW, DAAAAAAD"
As an aside, 4 years ago, we had 2 weeks notice that she would be a flower girl. So I googled "flower girl dresses" and found a perfect one for very little. I did the same last night with "party dresses." Guess where we'll look for prom dresses?

Things are hitting an interesting pitch at work. I enjoy my job, but have realized I have not missed the office politics and petty sniping that occurs.

Our football team plays in the semi finals game this weekend. Here at home. As of Monday night, so I hear, 20 blankets had been taped to the bleachers to mark people's spots. If we win Saturday, we will play at the University of Illinois for the championship - the day after Thanksgiving. Guess who will drive a van full of kids????? GO TROJANS

We spent Sunday evening with our new friend Benjamin. He will be 2 in December. He is from London and has the sweetest British accent. A week before they moved over here, his mommy found out she was expecting...twins. They are our neighbors and his daddy works with Paul. Since his daddy was traveling, we brought him over for a few hours so mummy could rest. What a delight!!!! He loves our Little Tykes Mountain Train set that was Blake's. Every now and then he'd look at me and say "mummy?" And I'd say "we'll see mummy soon." And he'd say "mummy take a nap." or "mummy lie on sofa." Mummy is VERY TIRED. Benjamin will be staying with us when mummy goes in to deliver the babies - both girls.

Supposedly Blake will not need a ride to wrestling in 15 days. That is when Robbie gets his license and will drive Blake, according to Blake. When Paul and I both said we weren't so sure about that, you would have though we were beating him with a chair. Should we let Blake ride with a boy who has had his license for a matter of hours? He would be the only passneger since our law states there can only be one non family member in the car with a new driver. We are encouraging him to hitch a ride with an older boy who we know and has actually had his license a year or two. I have a feeling I am entering a whole new realm of fear.

That's it I guess.

2 comments:

Beaner said...

I've been trying really hard to be thankful to God for what I already have - at least it seems to offset the questions.

I don't own a scale. If my jeans get too tight, then I know they've been in the dryer too long! ;)

I was the first driver of my HS group & I definately felt safer when I was in control. Personally, I would have a hard time letting either of my kids ride with a brand-new driver. But when the alternative is driving them myself....I'm not sure what I'd do! Thankfully, I've got more than a few years & hopefully the laws will change by then & they'll have to be 30 to get their license!!!

HW said...

Thanks, Beaner, for your comments.

I spoke to my mother this morning about the driving issue. She made some good points. Like, if Robbie was driving a month, would it be ok...a week? She said sometimes you have to just say your prayers and let them go. Maybe new drivers are more careful than I am....We have 15 days to decide.

I am trying really hard to be thankful also and I appreciate your reminder to look at what I have and not focus so much on what may be.

I appreciate you.