Monday, November 20, 2006

JUST A LITTLE DISAPPOINTED....

We spent Friday evening visiting with Dad and Marilyn and my grandmother at the hotel. Kayla took a friend and swam in the pool after we had dinner in their little sports bar - great onion straws. Kayla and Hannah sat at their own table and were so grown up and polite (I listened while they ordered)
We had a great visit with everybody and I hated for the evening to end.
We had hoped to get back on Saturday evening but our day was crazy busy:
We left the house at 9:30 a.m. to drive an hour for Kayla's basketball game. Then left her game and headed straight for the varsity football game, of which we missed the first quarter. As an aside, I will say that, since we were moving from one game to the next with no stopping point, I dressed in my turtle neck and sweater and wore long underwear under my jeans - all to the basketball game. While this proved not to be warm enough at the football game. I WAS ROASTING HOT at the basketball game. It left me a little grumpy.
Anyway,as we arrived at the football field I threw on my winter boots, heavy coat, head band, scarf and gloves and we got out for the football game and watched our boys win 35-0 and earn a trip to the University of Illinois to play for the championship. Yeah Trojans.
Then we went home and got ready for a little party that Blake was having - one that was planned before we knew grandpa Ron was coming to town. I did get to visit with the mother of one of his friends, one of my favorite people. I could tell she was just as exhausted as I was as we sat and talked, waiting for our boys' party to end.

I had called and left a message with Dad and Marilyn that we would not make it to the hotel and reminded them that we'd be by in the morning.
So we skipped church and planned to spend some time with them Sunday morning. When I called to let them know we were on our way, they said they were just turning in their room keys and leaving. My first thought: We skipped church. I could have listened to Larry preach today.
This is typical behavior of Dad over the years and I have resigned myself to it. I didn't think I was upset but realized later in the day that I had been in a foul mood
all day. So I finally said to Paul "I guess I'm just a little disappointed that I told them several times we'd like to come back Sunday morning and they left before seeing us." Some old habits will never be broken I guess.
There have been times I have struggled with this terrible thought process "What kind of person must I be if even my own dad doesn't want to spend time with me." The logical side of me KNOWS that is ridiculous but the little girl in me continues to wonder....

No comments: